Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #1

Statues (Lens Question)
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax k2000d Photo Location: Grand Island CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

I am new with using lens. This photo was cropped from the original. The distance was fairly far. Should I have used my 55-200mm lens? The statue looks very small which was not my intent.

This lens thing is new to me. I previously used a Pentax P90 (a bridge camera) with the lens built in (18-700).

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by llwil2003; 06-15-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: to add additional information
06-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO you should have user a longer lens. In think photo, there isn't much of a focal point, and there also seems to be a loss of resolution. With a longer lens, you'd be able to compose the shot as you saw fit (or, simply zoom with your feet!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two simple ways of making the intended subject bigger in the frame are to get closer (with your feet) and/or to zoom in (with the lens). The first of these is important, if possible, then zooming is used only to get the perspective required.
06-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Two simple ways of making the intended subject bigger in the frame are to get closer (with your feet) and/or to zoom in (with the lens). The first of these is important, if possible, then zooming is used only to get the perspective required.
To elaborate a bit on this:

If you can go nearer to the statue, you could use a shorter focal length, but still have the statue big in the picture frame. The closer you are to the subject, the moreemphasize is put on the statue and evyrthing in a distance will appear much smaller in comparisson. This is sometimes referred to be the "wide-angle perspective".

Ofcourse this name is misleading. Perspective has nothing at all to do with the lens you used, because it is a result of the distance between you and your subject.

So, if you use a tele lens and photograph the image from a distance, you will not change the relative size ratios between the statue and other things in your image (the columns for instance), but still you could make a shot wich frames the statue more tightly as you did.

If you stay at a fixed position and then use a tele zoom lens to tighten the frame, you will NOT change the perspective - you just change the angle of view.

If you get nearer to the subject and you WILL change the perspective.

Ben