Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A friend
Lens: 50mm f/2 Camera: K-x ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4 

Hey guys. Please tell me what you like, and of course what you don't like.

Thanks.

06-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your model!!!!! You did a good job capturing her image.
06-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A bit dark, perhaps. Hair blends in to shoulder.
Hand is in an awkward position and squishes chin.
No eyes - though mirror glasses can be interesting, the angle is not great here, and they are the center of the image.

This is a good snapshot of a friend, but not so much as a portrait.
06-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I like your model!!!!! You did a good job capturing her image.
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A bit dark, perhaps. Hair blends in to shoulder.
Hand is in an awkward position and squishes chin.
No eyes - though mirror glasses can be interesting, the angle is not great here, and they are the center of the image.

This is a good snapshot of a friend, but not so much as a portrait.
Very much what I was looking for. I had a feeling that it was a bit dark, and I didn't quite feel like the skin tone was how I wanted it. I hadn't thought about the squished chin or the hair though, thanks for your input.

06-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,
not bad. I agree, that the skin tone is not the best. I think it might be good to brighten the image up a bit and work a little with the WB. That might solve most of the skin problem. Right now it is too much towards green I believe.

To the over all style: it is bit too neutral to me. The light suggest kind of a romantic portrait with the light spreading all around, nice bokeh...happiness... But the outfit (piercing, glasses) aim for something different. More "heavy metal" look. I guess, you should decide, what is the style you actually want here and really go for it.

Cheers, Stepan
06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

is the focus sharpest on her hand? Not quite sure here.
Agree with whats been said, maybe a little fill light would have helped, I personally like the sunglasses and the reflection of people on it though.
06-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I echo the above suggestions.
Sorry to say this but her facial blemishes were the first thing my eyes latched onto.
Good choice in DoF though, and the OOF highlights are pretty and sparkling in the left side of the image.

06-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're better switching to mono in dull, daytime lit shots like this. It can make your subject stand out better against dull green foliage.
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
You're better switching to mono in dull, daytime lit shots like this. It can make your subject stand out better against dull green foliage.
can you please explain, or point where i can find one? mono = B&W?
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, in the art of procrastinating with stuff I should really be doing, I was looking through my flickr stream and found this shot I took almost half a year ago. I was never pleased with the output but really liked the shot, so I decided to give it another go today. I think the biggest thing holding the image back before was that I had the wrong color space on... should have been sRGB all along, and not adobe. Well, let me know what you guys think, now

12-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
smf
Pentaxian

I have no problem with some of the aspects of this photo which other photographers criticized. (The dark hair against her clothing and also her hand position, for example, do not bother me.)

I wonder whether the photo might be improved by toning down the light coming through the trees approximately a fifth of a way into the photo, from the left and also closer to her sunglasses' lens. You might also consider darkening or eliminating whatever that white object is below the people's feet in the sunglass lens that's at the right in the photo.

I like the facial expression, the pose and the placement of the subject in the image.
12-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #12

Skin tone could be worked, but I think its about the best its going to look.
12-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The interesting part for me in this reworked image is the reflection of people in the glasses...I would concentrate on that and crop the other stuff out. Here is an example ( changed the tones a little bit and crop)
Attached Images

12-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Color around the subject will often be reflected onto the subject. So, for example, the green from the trees will affect the color of the skin etc. My preference is to keep the background uniform and simple. Sunglasses, in my opinion, detract. They also suggest that the sun was too bright for a good portrait. An overcast day (when the sky acts as your umbrella), or early morning / late afternoon provides the simplest solution for a planned portrait photo. Usually, unless you want wrinkles etc. to show, e.g. on an elderly person to accentuate age, portraits are best with a lens that is not sharp. A filter, to soften the image also works. Familiarity with the subject can also cause a less than objective critique of a photo or what one sees through the viewfinder. How many times have you seen pictures of other peoples babies or relatives which are horrid photographically but believed to be great?
12-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

First...nice looking young lady! You should do more shots of her, she would be outstanding in a studio setting.

I pretty much agree with most of the comments here, and regardless of the negatives, as noted, it is a shot I like. It has a real and warm look to it, and good eye appeal.

Just for fun....I took it in Portrait Pro and did a few minor "enhancements". Everyone has different tastes, and PPro lets you make as many or as few changes or enhancements as you choose. I often play with it on rainy days, just for fun.
Best Regards!

Attachment 78323

Last edited by Rupert; 02-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.