Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is this portrait any good?
Lens: pentax 18-55mm @ 40mm Camera: Pentax ist DL Photo Location: my bedroom, england ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.5 

Had a friend who wanted to get into modeling, so I shot her with the kit lens (all I had at the time) and a desk lamp for fill light
pretty ghetto studio and the shots were terrible, but i've just dug the shots out again and worked on them (alot) in photoshop, I think the shots came out pretty nicely all things considered, this is the first one i've managed to finish PP on

some opinions would be very helpful
the full size version is here http://i45.tinypic.com/99jcc3.jpg

and if you'd like to compare to the original
http://i50.tinypic.com/2qvctmo.jpg

Last edited by clark; 06-30-2010 at 01:36 PM.
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The model looks very nice and shot from a good angle imo. I'm not crazy about the split head, I'd prefer more of her head to be in the photo. Otherwise it's good I believe.
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The composition looks good to me. The whole thing looks a bit washed though; if that's the look you're going for, great, just not my cup of tea. All in all, I like it.
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ansel Quote
The model looks very nice and shot from a good angle imo. I'm not crazy about the split head, I'd prefer more of her head to be in the photo. Otherwise it's good I believe.
thanks, I tried some which had the full head in, but i thought a closer crop of her face/eyes worked better for this type of shot

when I get round to posting them there's a few more from the shoot which are full body shots, head and shoulders, and some NSFW...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
The composition looks good to me. The whole thing looks a bit washed though; if that's the look you're going for, great, just not my cup of tea. All in all, I like it.
thank you
to be honest the lighting was so bad (and at the time I had no idea how to light a scene) that the scene had a extremely orange colour cast from the desk lamps I was using, so once i'd neutralized this there wasn't much form shadow left, so I tried to colour balance it in a way which made it look quite stark and maybe lifeless- something which would have immediate impact as a picture, not just 'another portrait'

The original image was pretty bad though, the one I posted as the original had already been colour corrected, but if you overlay the 2 images the entire structure of the face has been changed
so I guess i'm asking for critique on the PP more than the photo, and seeing as no one's mentioned it so far it must be pretty good

thanks

07-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I like the crop in the upper part but I suggest that you try to either
  • cut off a bit from the bottom and/or
  • darken the bottom area.
The bright part at the bottom distracts from the face and I'm convinced that the overall look would be better if you darkened the bright parts outside the face quite considerably. A vignette effect will probably work well.

Looking forward to seeing more shots of her!
07-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This is one of those shots that you could do a hundred ways and get a hundred opinions on each version....and they would all be as different as the versions.

For what it appears you were trying to accomplish, it looks good to me. I'm not sure you could "improve" it......you might "change it" but it looks good as it is now. I think you did a good job, although it is not my "stlye" of shooting or processing.
Best Regards!
07-22-2010, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
PP critique - her skin needs more work. The dark area on the bridge of her nose and nostrils are bothersome along with the uneven lip color.

I took the liberty to do a 5 minute cleanup

Last edited by ramair455; 07-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
07-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fine effort.
Attitude, boldness and apt lighting.
ramair's right about the uneven skin tones, so I'd retouch the areas slightly just to smoothen them out a little less obviously than ramair's quick job.
But composition and pose - two thumbs up.
07-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
BIG improvement!
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The PP might be a bit OTT, especially in the eyes. But that little proviso aside I think it works very well. The "fixup" version really helps.
07-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
PP critique - her skin needs more work. The dark area on the bridge of her nose and nostrils are bothersome along with the uneven lip color.

wow, that does look good- your smoothing technique is good

I did do a version that was heavily smoothed but I felt the lighting and the setup was soo obviously 'cheap', that if I retouched to perfection the image looked unbelievable, when I get my tablet back i'll have another go

i'll also post up some other looks we shot