Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Summer Cottage Lily
Lens: DA 55-200 Kit lens Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: Toivakka, Finland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F9.5 

Hi all! Frist time posting to ask for critique. I took this picture with the forest in the background. The first photo is the original. The second, as you can see, I sort of cut the picture in half, going with the lily on the left. However, I felt that the background was still a little "busy" with the closed lily to the left. Some others have told me that I should take out the lily on the bottom as well, so I did that in Photo #3.. I just bought my Pentax just over a month ago, I am very, very new to DSLR, and many times so when it comes to post-processing. What I don't like about photo #3 is that I had a little more dark background "above" the lily, and, the edges now look so terribly jagged. Any advice? Thanks. Ned

Last edited by Eetu; 07-04-2010 at 02:42 PM.
07-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Eetu!

Nice picture. I didnt get to see picture one and two, and how picture three came to be, so I am a little at a loss. In addition, the size of the picture you posted wont allow me to see much in terms of the jaggedness that you mentioned.

I am not sure how experienced you are with your camera and PP, and in fact, since you own a better camera than mine, I hope I wont step any toes when my advice is to actually take more picture.

I do a lot of PP myself, and I like to think anything can be fixed PP. However, when the subject theme is readily available (like flowers), I think it is just better practice for you to redo the shot, and get it right the first time in shot. PP is fine, but it should not be a crutch
07-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A well-done shot technically, but I think the composition is bit off. Also, watch those edges!

I think "the picture" lies in the single flower on the left. A crop might be all it would take!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam!

I wonder why the last two photos do not appear on my screen...

Here is a finished product:

Attached Images

07-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
i wouldn't remove the background flower, it adds depth
or conversely remove the buds from the right as well

Last edited by sir.b; 07-05-2010 at 04:15 PM.
07-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sir.b Quote
i wouldn't remove the background flower
or conversely remove the buds from the right as well
My wife and I agree... but some that I have showed this photo to, they feel that the background flower, etc. was in the way...

Many kind thanks for your words.

Ned
07-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here is my orignal cropping and processing, before taking out the other things. I realize everyone has different taste, but I think the above is fine, and it certainly looks natural.