Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Summer in the City
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Downtown, Munich, Germany ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F6.7 

Ok, I'm no sports or action shooter and so I offer my photo for criticism.

I submit it in the "Streets" category because it is street photography. The girl surfs a wave in a park river at a point exactly a short 10min walk away from the central place of the city of Munich, Germany (Marienplatz is at 1100m distance). It is taken from a bridge crossing that river (Eisbach).

The river is pretty cold normally (coming from the Alps) but today it was so hot that a few people actually wear nothing in that park ...

So, all nice. But how does it as a surf shot?

Summer in the City

07-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the shot is a bit soft, but, apart from that, I really like it! You've got a great composition going, and the colors and exposure are spot-on! How'd you capture this from such an angle?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very nice shot!

I like the strong diagonals and the placement of the girl which all suggest movement and speed. I like how the surfboard tip almost appears to stick out of the 2D plane.

I'd try to make the water bluer; its current colour is a bit "blah".
07-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the shot is a bit soft, but, apart from that, I really like it! You've got a great composition going, and the colors and exposure are spot-on! How'd you capture this from such an angle?
I was standing on a bridge. I cropped a bit to eliminate any sign that this isn't plain ocean

You're right on the softness. It's 1/60s only which is too slow. However, in this shot I was lucky that her head stayed relatively sharp. So, the motion blur now helps to visualize the action. Nevertheless, I made a bad choice on exposure time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd try to make the water bluer; its current colour is a bit "blah".
Good suggestion!

I found it hard to turn the greenish color blue. And the water IS green, coming from the mountains ... So, I left the greenish cast but tried to remove the color cast from shadows in the water and made the water look "fresher" overall.

BTW, the shadow is from trees overcasting the scenery. There won't be many surf shots with this kind of sunny spots pattern

07-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more

Summer in the City II

Doesn't have that ocean touch but I love her face in this shot. Not from the bridge but from the river side. 50% crop.

Of course, girls are a minority in the shots but surf boy shots are so ... common

Last edited by falconeye; 07-10-2010 at 03:46 AM.
07-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Falk, you did well to get up close to the subject as she streamed past you. Good job panning and framing on the go. Focus is a little off on both shots - would have been great if the focal point was nailed on her face, and the harsh sunlight breaking through does make it difficult to control image contrast, but otherwise, excellent action shots.
07-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Focus is a little off on both shots - would have been great if the focal point was nailed on her face
Thanks everybody for the feed back.

Yeah, focus. The surfers were moving fast and close to me so the distance changed a lot. I was surprised I got some acceptable shots at all Next time I may try a machine gun approach with a manually preset focus plane.

07-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, I left the greenish cast but tried to remove the color cast from shadows in the water and made the water look "fresher" overall.
Good move. I like the second version better.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Doesn't have that ocean touch but I love her face in this shot.
Cracker shot! Well done!

I personally wouldn't want the shutter speed any faster in either of the shots since the blur is essential in conveying the dynamics of the scene. Most action scenes look just plain boring when they are essentially illustrating Zeno's paradox of motion.
07-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The first picture is ok but I really like the second one. The lighting on her face is excellent.

Paul
07-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so you like the second photo better.

I found that Herby Crus has marvelous shot of Munich surfers on flickr. I like in particular:

Surfing in Munich, in the City, on a standing wave on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(I didn't embedd the photo because it isn't mine).

Herby Crus' photo won dozen of awards on flickr. So, if you give it 5 stars, how would you rate my second shot with the lady's face?

I agree with the exposure time now. Herby used 1/40s only (D300). It's just that much harder to get a keeper but I agree it is worth it. I admit I choose 1/60s by accident but now I am glad I did. Lesson learned.

P.S.
My favourite Eisbach photo: 'Downtown Surfing - The One And Only' - Bavaria, Germany | New! Now in cinema! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The link above contains the link to a cinema movie trailer about Munich surfing too:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g5vUfqaHz0[/YT]
American parents Caution: the above video trailer shows nude surfers!

Last edited by falconeye; 07-11-2010 at 03:09 AM.