Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shy Girl
Lens: Nokton 58mm F1.4 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F2.8 

I often shoot "Portrait" shots for practice at lunchtime in my daily Eatery, where I know most everyone. This little girl was just passing by with her boyfriend and I tried to coax her into posing......she finally did, but my favorite was this first one where it showed her "shyness"
Sometimes you capture what you want...sometimes not......I thought I got it here, what do you think?
Regards!

Her name was China.....I did print this for her 8x10.

07-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very well done- sharp, clear, well-composed, and well-named. I don't think I see anything wrong with this shot

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam....I did get a few more shots of her after she became more comfortable...but I still like the first one best.
Regards
More serious "Shy Girl"...
07-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice! I agree, I like the first one

07-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rupert,

I like the candid one also. The hidden smile shows up strongly in her eyes. For my personal taste, I would bump the contrast a little with a slight S-Curve adjustment (See below). I also did a small levels adjustment to the eyes only (bumped the gamma to bring out the color and moved the white point to brighten the whites - this helps the eyes look more like they do in the second image).

I'm sure she was thrilled with the print.

Tim
07-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like it...maybe a little more contrast than I normally prefer, but the eyes look terrific. Thanks for the input. I could have...and should have , shot this at ISO 200 , but it was just a quick snap and I didn't bother with experimenting. The higher ISO begins to show the noise with the added contrast......I'm not big on "noise worry", so unless it looks like snow, I don't get too concerned.
Thanks again!
Rupert
07-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

These are excellent. Regarding the contrast/levels, maybe somewhere between the first and second revisions would be a good compromise. The skin tone in the higher-contrast version seems a little off.

Paul

07-17-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

I agree that the photos are excellent.

And I like the skin tone and background of the first image. So can you brighten the eyes, as Tim did, while retaining the skin tone and background? (I think Nik shofware would allow you to do that. Perhaps other software would, too.)

In your second image (where we can see more of her face), please consider cloning out the white areas in the background at upper left and the circular area immediately above her head.
07-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried to brighten the eyes a little without overdoing it......I am not the most skilled at processing for sure. In reality, the model was far superior to the shooter...but you do what you can! For a quick snap, it was more than I deserved.
Best Regards! & Thanks for the comments and advice!
Rupert
[IMG][/IMG]
07-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think your final edit is great. I did my quick and dirty one on my work computer and it does have a yellow cast to it that I didn't see.

Don't sell your skills as a shooter, as you saw a great image and captured it perfectly.

Tim
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great lighting and DOF and wonderful capture as well.
08-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Excellent, and very well done. No critique of the last version at all.