Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something Old...
Lens: Tokina 28-70 2.8 ATX-AF Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.5 

In the boredom of being stuck inside during a bad heatwave with high humidity, I have been experimenting with some older shots to see the possibilities.....
I took this two years ago and decided to try and make a portrait with a better background. Does it work for you, or should I go back outside in the heat? LOL!

Original ( It was also a crop of the original file)
[IMG][/IMG]
New background....done in E7
[IMG][/IMG]
Best Regards!

07-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice cloning job Rupert. The background looks like a professional backdrop was used.

Tim
07-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

i actually think it looked better before- I don't like the cropping of the new shot, and the lack of a background removes the context from the shot

as for the actual cloning- if you wanted the background to look patchy and uneven (like a backdrop) then well done, but if not, then I suggest you have another go at this

also there are some pretty serious artefacts around the hair

to the untrained eye this is probably fine, but my brain is trained to spot mistakes
07-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Very nice cloning job Rupert. The background looks like a professional backdrop was used.

Tim
Thanks......the background was the main emphasis of my work in this one, so if you like it that is reason enough to stay out of the heat a little longer! LOL!
Regards!

07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
i actually think it looked better before- I don't like the cropping of the new shot, and the lack of a background removes the context from the shot

as for the actual cloning- if you wanted the background to look patchy and uneven (like a backdrop) then well done, but if not, then I suggest you have another go at this

also there are some pretty serious artefacts around the hair

to the untrained eye this is probably fine, but my brain is trained to spot mistakes
Yes, I agree with that analysis...pretty much. If it was going to be up to standards it would require more attention and also the RAW file which I have but can't find.......I just worked with the downsized copy. I personally liked the first one with the gift packages, which did give it some context....but didn't quite fit the "portrait mode".
Thanks for the comments, they are helpful.....and although not "music to my ears'....they were spot on and honest. Still, it wasn't bad enough to send me back out in the high heat outside! LOL!
Regards!
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Try softening it a bit... see if that helps the artifacts... I think that is what bugs me about the new one....
07-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Try softening it a bit... see if that helps the artifacts... I think that is what bugs me about the new one....
If I were to get this right....I would need to find the RAW file and start all over.....meanwhile, here is a BW that has been softened a little. I am not well versed in BW conversions, but if someone that was could do a good one, it might be my preference of this particular shot.
Best Regards! & Thanks for the comment/advice!
[IMG][/IMG]

07-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

look at the curve on this photo... I would guess the darks are very dark and the whites very white... for me personally I might dial both in a bit towards the middle and see if some texture will come to the shoulders and top of her head... i like the face, her eye really pop for me...
07-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
look at the curve on this photo... I would guess the darks are very dark and the whites very white... for me personally I might dial both in a bit towards the middle and see if some texture will come to the shoulders and top of her head... i like the face, her eye really pop for me...
I did try the adjustment and it gave it some improvement....took away some of the "dullness". The detail is in the RAW ...if I ever find it? I am not the best at processing, but I am betting someone that is could get this photo right.
Best Regards! & Thanks!