Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Refusal !" and "Up in the air"
Lens: PENTAX SMC DA 50 - 200mm Camera: PENTAX K-7 Photo Location: Quito, Ecuador ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

At an international competition in Quito.
First use of the K-7 for action photos.
Hope to read your critiques and comments.
2nd taken at 1/400s and F7.1

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo   

Last edited by vikingo; 07-23-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add 2nd photo
07-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #2

Nice shots.
For the first one a slower shutter speed would show the action a bit more with a bit of panning. I would have shot it with a shutter speed of 1/125 max.
For the second one I would have dropped the aperture to 5.6 or less if possible to get a shallower depth of field and dropped the ISO down as well to a minimum to minimize noise. It's a bit distracting IMO.
Good shots though.
07-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good work on the shots! using higher iso, if it is applied to shutter and aperture seems to increase shot success in terms of sharpness and capturing the moment, at least in my experience.

The second shot, although good, seems to have a bit less contrast. If that is due to noise, some light application of a good NR software, would probably benefit the image.

congrats, phil
07-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw these last night...but it was late......The first one is superb, and while there are a few problems, they are not enough to detract from the timing and quality of the capture. Right place, right time, and you did a great job!
Second one is a good photo, but does not hold the interest of the first one....you already knew that, of course.

Noise may be a factor here, but it is not really detracting on my screen. Perhaps if printed you would use a good program to clear it up a little and keep it sharp.

For me, personally, when I get a similar shot....it is usually just my good luck. The limiting factor for such shots is the speed, if you can get it....or if you can't. Bumping the ISO has its own problems, and perhaps some other brands have an edge there....or maybe this is where full frame makes some difference concerning noise....I'm just guessing. At any rate, I love the first shot, and you did an excellent job of capturing it. Nothing to apologize for in that shot!
Best Regards!