Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lifeguard in Southwold
Lens: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Southwold, UK 

Hi folks, I was hoping for some advice about this image. Should I crop the left half? Is there anything else I can do to improve it?

Thanks

07-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focal point of this image is the lifeguard, so you'll want to start by cropping out some of the sky. Up to an inch, I'd say.

Thereafter, there are two things that are distracting to me, as the disrupt the patterns, shadows, and uniformity of the shot: the buoy on the left (can be cloned) and the tourists on the beach (can also be cloned, but probably with a bit of difficulty).

Once you take care of these three things, I'd say this shot is almost perfect!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think this is a case of being in the right place, but at the wrong time.
07-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Cropping 1/2 the sky about the roofs may help, but levelling the horizon will be better.

07-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! Here's one version with the suggested cloning, and one with part of the sky cropped. I also brightened the lifeguard a bit and rotated it a bit.

07-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

As mentioned, straighten that horizon. Then, crop so the top third is just above the homes/pier. You now have some fantastic thirds going on. The rocks. The pier. The boardwalk. It's really a beautiful thing.

Try a bw conversion. I think it would be stellar, though it's a tough sacrifice of all the color in the cabanas. The play of the shadows is actually quite intriguing. There is a lot of visual interest, without it being too busy. And as for timing, sure, technically the lighting could be better, but who sitesees only at dawn and dusk? You got ONE DUDE on the pier. And he's interesting, since he's a lifeguard. Really, I think you got very very lucky on that. Great job!

Last edited by kmwsbabe; 07-27-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification
07-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

Here is a close approximation of what I saw when I looked at your photo:

I apologize in advance for offering a play on it. Just say the word and I will take it down pronto. Really, it has a lot of potential. It's a nice picture.

07-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kmwsbabe that's very cool, the wider crop looks great. Most definitely food for thought, thanks!
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

You're very welcome.