Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lake at Dusk
Lens: 18-200 VR Camera: Nikon d300 (sorry...) Photo Location: Wales ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: >6s 

hi there, unfortunately I just so happened to have a d300 in my hands when this was shot, but don't worry- I am a pentax guy!

Can't remember the apperture, but the shutter was about 11 seconds if I remember correctly, I'll find out the RAW

anyway i'm looking for critique and maybe some PP opportunities I might have missed, all i've done so far is push the saturation a touch, think I got it right in camera

I know this isn't a pentax shot, but I use a ist DL 99% of the time, the d300 is my dad's, we were on holiday, I was trying out his camera- and hey it's the result that counts, not the tool right!

07-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No need to apologize for using a different brand, as it's perfectly fine.

As far as the photo goes- I really like the composition, lighting, and delicate colors. It seems a bit soft, however, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether it helps the picture or not. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, though The only other thing that caught my attention is that there might be just a little bit too much negative space (sky) at the top.

Very nice shot overall!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No need to apologize for using a different brand, as it's perfectly fine.

As far as the photo goes- I really like the composition, lighting, and delicate colors. It seems a bit soft, however, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether it helps the picture or not. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, though The only other thing that caught my attention is that there might be just a little bit too much negative space (sky) at the top.

Very nice shot overall!
thanks- Yeah I agree with you on the softness (wouldnt have happened with a pentax lens ) and the sky

I might crop it to widescreen and see how it looks- but I'm actually trying to sell this image to the hotel we stay at which looks out over this lake, so I'll have to see what sort of cropping works best for them in terms of printing etc

I guess the softness was because I was shooting at f22, in retrospect I should have used ND filters but I didnt know about diffraction at that time

thanks
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't notice the softness, unless there is a way to view higher-res than I'm seeing. What part seems soft? With a long exposure I'd expect many of the trees to be soft from motion. You might try cropping out some of the sky.

Paul

07-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The foreground matter being silhouetted leaves little to look at for me, as there is no distinct form to the subject, making it less amenable to silhouetting. While the water is smooth and sky is clear and nicely coloured, they in themselves don't provide an impressive enough subject to focus on.
07-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The foreground matter being silhouetted leaves little to look at for me, as there is no distinct form to the subject, making it less amenable to silhouetting. While the water is smooth and sky is clear and nicely coloured, they in themselves don't provide an impressive enough subject to focus on.
I agree- got there too late, the sun was already behind the mountains and it was basically night

I might try cropping some off the right hand side

as I said, this was taken about 2 years ago, I think it's just pure luck it came out as well as it did, most of the photos I was taking then were truly awful- if I ever get the chance to reshoot this i'll do a much better job

it would be time consuming but not impossible to paint out the entire tree line at the bottom, so I might try this