Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Playing in the Dirt
Lens: Pentax M 75-150 Camera: KX Photo Location: Farm ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F5.6 

I went and shoot some barrel racing... tell me is there too much movement happening here?

The rest can be found here... horse I guess the lady who shots for them normally way over charges and gives bad photos($50 a pop)... I figure I can maybe do better... but I am working on what the feeling should be...

The rest are here... only quick edits... I was more trying to find a style I like...

I took my 75-150 to this one... but I think I found 100 to be about right... so likely a prime next time...

Last edited by icywarm; 07-29-2010 at 12:07 AM.
07-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Fantastic work, considering that you were using a manual lens. Even though I think there's a bit too much motion blur, the composition is excellent- and that's what makes a picture

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks adam,

I was thinking there was too much motion... just need a critical eye...

I think 1/60 - 1/100 gives me what I am looking for, but I thought I'd get other opnion on a 1/20 one...
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A decent depiction of motion here, but I personally find the 1/20 too slow for that kind of speed - the background panning is perfect, it's just the excessive blurring of the horse's legs that makes it look like one big mush of dirt.

I agree - 1/100 would have come out better

07-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah here is 1/120ish range... works better...
07-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
yeah here is 1/120ish range... works better...
miles better
that is a keeper- the first one is not

I complete agree with what Ash said about the horses legs looking like mush, also with both subjects moving away from you the picture doesn't really work. The composition is considerably better in the second image
maybe straighten the horizon though
07-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the second is better largely because you can see her face. But yeah, as others have mentioned you ought to straighten the horizon. I'd get rid of that barrel also, it's pretty distracting and doesn't really add anything to the photo.

07-31-2010, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
I think the second is better largely because you can see her face. But yeah, as others have mentioned you ought to straighten the horizon. I'd get rid of that barrel also, it's pretty distracting and doesn't really add anything to the photo.

I was thinking to say 'remove the barrel', but then I thought without the barrel it would just look like the horse is falling over- with the barrel it's clear that the horse has run around it
but I agree it would be better if it was a fence or something that looked more like it belonged in the picture

so if you were to comp it out, you'd have to replace it with something

if you think this would be above your skill level in photoshop if you send me the raw/full size processed Jpeg I could comp it out and then render something in 3ds max to fit in with the scene?
07-31-2010, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
I was thinking to say 'remove the barrel', but then I thought without the barrel it would just look like the horse is falling over- with the barrel it's clear that the horse has run around it
but I agree it would be better if it was a fence or something that looked more like it belonged in the picture

so if you were to comp it out, you'd have to replace it with something

if you think this would be above your skill level in photoshop if you send me the raw/full size processed Jpeg I could comp it out and then render something in 3ds max to fit in with the scene?
I hadn't thought of that... you're quite right, that without something there the horse looks like it's just about toppled over
07-31-2010, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Maybe I have a different perspective on these. While I think the 2nd is better for the stated reasons, I would bet that the first, which is my favorite, would receive more attention if printed large and hung for viewing. I always try to envision a photo in print and hanging.....and what its appeal would be in that format. Here, I think the clarity of the rider would draw the eye, but the blur of the situation would make the viewer linger and take in the whole scene and study it with interest, and it does call out for my interest. Combine that with the fact that it is almost a combination photo (the rider) and watercolor painting (the rest of it) and it is most unusual.

Of course, I am just an old Squirrel Shooter, and certainly no art or photo critic with any credentials worth mentioning, but that's how I see it!
Best Regards!
07-31-2010, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #11

Just a view point here, but not from a professionally trained eye. Both photos are very good. The first implies a pulse racing level of potential action that is not defined well, but lurking. Sort of like when you were a kid and spun around very fast and the sky and objects blurred. You weren't sure if you would fall or not, but it was stimulating and fun. The second photo defines a situation in time where the horse and rider are trying regain control of their movement. The angles are all over the place with the girl's eyes,the horses head and body, and the horizon all askew. I think the barrel is the antagonist of the action and is necessary to convey the reason for the event. I would be much more concerned about where the speck between the horses right eye and the edge of the photo came from and PP it out.

I'm just an old outdoors guy with off road motorcycle crashing experience. I've seen a bit of the blurring and freeze-frame images in real time. I close my eyes and still can see them. That is what this reminds me of here. The drama of intense action.

JB
08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys... lots of takes on this one... the second one is more what the girls tend to want in barrel racing... ideally you have the barrel in the middle with the horse and rider encircling it.... in this case she did hit the barrel and it is tumbling away... makes for an interesting shot for the sport, but not one she would ever want....

I agree with Rupert about the interesting nature of the first one, but I wanted to see if it was my emotional attachment to the photo or if it really conveyed what I thought it did...

to jump back to the second photo... to me since it is barrel racing and the riders are weaving around the 3 barrels I figure you need to keep it, plus I feel it balances the photo. As to the spot on the photo... I thought that was a mark on my screen... I guess I need to clean my sensor... again...

thanks guys rep all around...
09-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful capture! I really like the motion and colors.
09-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I personally like the first one too, it's kind of unique but it might have been better with a little faster shutter speed.
As it was mentioned, if you would straighten the horizon on the second shot, it would be better. I love the lightning in that shot. Nice job!