Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Catch
Lens: Kiron 105 2.8 Macro Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F11 

Not that unusual a shot, but I was lucky to get the silk nozzles in full action. Not much color in this spider or the June bug, so I got as much contrast as I could, but it still appears sort of dull. Perhaps I just need to shoot more colorful spiders? This one lives in my shop and is just a "regular", he's been around a long time.
Regards!

I also used the 540 Flash here in manual mode 1/16 with the diffuser.
[IMG][/IMG]

07-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a great shot. Nothing left to do to it.
07-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much emphasis as we put on color and composition sometimes its just the subject that makes it most interesting...like your shot. The disparity in size between the spider and prey as well as the silk in action makes it for me! Nice capture.
07-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

in terms of technicality I think it's too 'obvious'

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the shot i'd have liked to have got from this situation would have been of the spiders face, with the beetle maybe just out of focus in the background- so you might stare at it and it would take you 20 seconds to figure out what was going on

I'm maybe biased because I think macro/people shots require a 'face' to make them interesting

also, i'd maybe crop a tiny bit of the top, about an inch off the bottom, and make it a square frame- i'd also probably rotate it 90 degrees

how does the 540 work in manual mode? because I was thinking of getting one, but all my lenses are pentax M, so everything is truly manual- so would I be better off using a proper manual flash with the guides on the back, or a 540, because i'd like the wireless capabilities when I get a new camera, but the lack of direct controls (knobs and sliders) puts me off, I don't want to have to delve through menu's to do what I want, I like physical clicks

07-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
in terms of technicality I think it's too 'obvious'

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the shot i'd have liked to have got from this situation would have been of the spiders face, with the beetle maybe just out of focus in the background- so you might stare at it and it would take you 20 seconds to figure out what was going on

I'm maybe biased because I think macro/people shots require a 'face' to make them interesting

also, i'd maybe crop a tiny bit of the top, about an inch off the bottom, and make it a square frame- i'd also probably rotate it 90 degrees

how does the 540 work in manual mode? because I was thinking of getting one, but all my lenses are pentax M, so everything is truly manual- so would I be better off using a proper manual flash with the guides on the back, or a 540, because i'd like the wireless capabilities when I get a new camera, but the lack of direct controls (knobs and sliders) puts me off, I don't want to have to delve through menu's to do what I want, I like physical clicks
I do have a shot with a little more of his frontal section, here: PentaxForums.com - Rupert's Album: Rupert's Ramblings
Spider shots are common around my house, but it is seldom that I get the "silk action" in progress, which is what made this one a little different.

I like the 540 Flash, and often prefer to use it in manual mode to get just the right amount of light I am seeking. It is a nice flash unit, works well in wireless, and the swivel action is useful also. I also have a 360 Flash, I love it too, and if it swiveled it would be my Flash of choice....being a little smaller. I don't think you can go wrong with the 540, it is very versatile, and has given me some nice results when I have used it properly.
Best Regards!
07-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I do have a shot with a little more of his frontal section, here: PentaxForums.com - Rupert's Album: Rupert's Ramblings
Spider shots are common around my house, but it is seldom that I get the "silk action" in progress, which is what made this one a little different.

I like the 540 Flash, and often prefer to use it in manual mode to get just the right amount of light I am seeking. It is a nice flash unit, works well in wireless, and the swivel action is useful also. I also have a 360 Flash, I love it too, and if it swiveled it would be my Flash of choice....being a little smaller. I don't think you can go wrong with the 540, it is very versatile, and has given me some nice results when I have used it properly.
Best Regards!
they're both great shots, i'm not sure which I prefer

as for the 540- is it easy to use in manual- how do you change settings

my current flash setup is the onboard flash with a home made cardboard diffuser- because there's no control over the flash at all, so when using manual lenses I have to adjust lens aperture to control the light it takes in (taking distance to subject into account), and control the flash intensity by putting thicker paper in front of the bulb, pretty ghetto set up but I understand how to get the best of it and I know how much paper/aperture to use in any given condition, i'd like a flash unit to be as 'low' tech as that- I only really use flash at the moment for macro, so with an external flash I would control intensity by moving the flash unit closer or further. But I might move more into studio work in the future, i've just been booked to shoot another models portfolio.

All my lenses (except like 2) are pentax M, so i'd like a flash that played nice with those-would there be any benefit to getting the 540 as opposed to say, an old school film camera era flash?- tilt/swivel isn't really an issue as i'd be using it off camera, and I don't really mind using a ttl cord, my camera doesn't have wireless anyway
07-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 540 is an excellent flash, good for most all uses, but the 360 might be more what you need. I actually prefer the 360, except for my need for swivel quite often.
They are both nice units, and they are Pentax......Either way, be sure to get one of these, or one similar, it makes all the difference.......I seldom remove mine, they do a very good job of spreading an even light.
Amazon.com: SBM Supreme Light Diffuser for Various Canon, Contax, Nikon, Sony, Sunpack, Vivitar, Metz, Pentax, Achieverů
Best Regards!
08-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #8

Great catch all around, I thought it was a small mouse at first!
I love spider shots and this is a fantastic shot.

Do you mind if I play with the contrast and color and repost below?

08-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It almost looks like plastic wrap... great capture...