Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bridge in the Woods
Lens: DA* 50-135 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: St. Louis ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F5.6 

On a hike today and thought was a very relaxing view....

Last edited by stl09; 11-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
08-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shot doesn't work for me. I'm sure the sight was beautiful, but I don't think this does it justice.

First off, the photo itself is soft. This can be seen both in the foreground and in the background, and make it hard for the viewer to focus on the rest of the image. Second, the composition is very 'busy'. There's a bridge, twigs and logs all over the place, and nothing that brings your eye to the bridge. Finally, the colors are very flat, almost as if the photo were overexposed.

I think that perhaps some levels adjustment, cropping, and shadow/highlight might make this photo better. Why not start by cropping off the lower third of the photo?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After reviewing what you said I agree. I'm going to try what you said and see what I get...I think I'm going to crop right below the fallen tree and then tweak...
Thanks again
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great! Feel free to post it here and we'll take another look

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

I can see what you were aiming for, liked the bridge, liked the stream, but i think if you shot as a portrait, closer to the water with the bridge in the upper 5th of the shot, dawn or dusk lighting and a longer exposure to give the water the feeling of movement you can give us better look at what this location made you feel when you took the picture. It's a great, spot I'd go back and experiment.