Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Butterfly on Flower
Lens: Sigma 50-500mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: St. Louis ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.7 

Chased this butterfly around for almost as long as the bumblebee...

Last edited by stl09; 11-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
08-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the leaves in this shot- especially the one that's pointed at the butterfly.

However, overall, there's too little contrast in the butterfly, and thus, it's not clear enough. I think that a much tighter crop would make this shot a winner- i.e. just the butterfly and the two leaves to the right of it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basically I agree with Adam. I presume this is natural light (?), and then it is hard to get more contrast unless you use a sharp and contrasty dedicated macro lens. So it could be worth trying using flash? Non the less, I like it. Nice colors and well composed (though a bit tighter cropping keeping the flowers on the diagonal could work better). And I'm impressed that you managed to get all of the butterfly within the DOF with just f6.7. What focal length was it shot at?
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Butterfly photo

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Basically I agree with Adam. I presume this is natural light (?), and then it is hard to get more contrast unless you use a sharp and contrasty dedicated macro lens. So it could be worth trying using flash? Non the less, I like it. Nice colors and well composed (though a bit tighter cropping keeping the flowers on the diagonal could work better). And I'm impressed that you managed to get all of the butterfly within the DOF with just f6.7. What focal length was it shot at?
Yes natural light, very over cast, dark clouds looked like rain the whole day.

I was about 300mm using the Sigma 50-500mm lens...hand holding...

Overall I was quite pleased with the lens...always room for improvement but I appreciate what others have to say and makes me think about the next time.