Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

my brother! snapshot with smc m 28mm 2.8 on the kx
Lens: smc m 28 2.8 Camera: kx Photo Location: seattle center ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

i called his name, he looked and i snapped this shot.
thanks for looking!

edit: pic removed

Last edited by jeghead1; 08-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.
08-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive Account

what do you want us to say...

the composition is ok I guess, but his face could be filling the frame more- maybe do a square crop of the imahe

his face is underexposed, a reflector would help add some fill light here

a larger aperture would blur the background more, guess this was shot at f5.6/8?
Edit: I see it was indeed shot at f8

basically, take more care, snaps rarely make for good photos- i'd be much more interested by your work if you spent 30 minutes setting up lighting, the another 30 minutes shooting under different settings and then finally getting one stunning shot- that's how photographers take great pictures, by practice and experience, eventually you learn to get it right first time- but we're both new to the game, it won't happen for a few years yet
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow

"what do you want us to say..."

i am new to the slr camera! If you dont have something nice to say dont say it

i really cant stand some of the wanna be pro elitists on some of these forums. All I was looking for was critiques not condescending remarks like that!
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeghead1 Quote
"what do you want us to say..."

i am new to the slr camera! If you dont have something nice to say dont say it

i really cant stand some of the wanna be pro elitists on some of these forums. All I was looking for was critiques not condescending remarks like that!
...if you wanted to hear something nice, send the photo to your mother. You posted in the critique section.

If you want to become a better photographer, ask for honest critiques, listen to them, get past the sting, and learn from them. Giving an honest critique is probably the "nicest" thing one artist can do for another. Stroking your ego just leaves you stunted.

08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
what do you want us to say...
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
...if you wanted to hear something nice, send the photo to your mother. You posted in the critique section.
Actually you are both out of line. Posting in the critique section does not give you a license to say this kind of thing to a member. I personally think that your behavior is over the line, especially you extravegant, and most especially for a noob.

I'm very interested in seeing what you can produce that would lead you to be so... rude... Especially given that you are still "just trying to figure out how to go from being lucky to being good."

woof!
08-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
nice does not mean a compliment

"NICE" includes constructive criticism. comments like "what do you want us to say..." are just unnessecary. I enjoy others' thoughts on my art but when they are rude it just belittles their opinion!

"sting" hilarious... its photography!
08-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

i'm sorry that I caused offense- by 'what do you want us to say' I didn't mean it in an elitist manor

by 'what do you want us to say' I meant what do you expect to hear that you don't already know yourself, you'd already said the image was a snap shot (which in my eyes means it was a quick/throwaway shot), not the result of a carefully composed photo, and I was merely commenting on what you wanted us to say in response to that

I'm not being malicious, I just want to know what you want to get out of our critique, it's a snap shot of your brother, a person we don't know- we feel no connection to the image- it's difficult to provide anything other than critique on a technical level, if this is all you want then fair enough.

and fwiw I think I gave a fair critique on how the image could be improved generally with some simple adjustments, and how your photography as a whole could be improved by spending more time on lighting and composition

for example when I first started shooting I never knew that you still used flash for outdoor portraits as fill light, and i'd never heard of a reflector, so I always wondered why my shots never looked smooth- then someone told me, and now i'm telling you

08-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Actually you are both out of line. Posting in the critique section does not give you a license to say this kind of thing to a member. I personally think that your behavior is over the line, especially you extravegant, and most especially for a noob.

I'm very interested in seeing what you can produce that would lead you to be so... rude... Especially given that you are still "just trying to figure out how to go from being lucky to being good."

woof!
"Blunt" is not the same as rude. Rude would be making value judgments on the poster. I'm not berating the OP to make myself feel like a big strong man on the internet, I'm offering my advice as an artist.

If being blunt in the critique section is not part of the forum's ethos, I can respect that I'm just a noob and I'm rocking the boat. If that is the case, then I just won't frequent this section, because it would be effectively useless. I'm practicing the golden rule here. When I post a photo here, I don't want people to spare my feelings, I want to gain insight on becoming a better photographer. If I'm being a pansy, I want to be called out on it. Again, if that's not the flavor of the board, I'll just leave.

One thing that really concerns me is your request that I produce something awesome to justify my demeanor. On one side of it, I wouldn't discount someone critiquing my photograph based on their skill level, and on the other side, it seems like you're implying that the massively talented have a license to be huge a-holes. I don't agree with either implication.
08-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
If being blunt in the critique section is not part of the forum's ethos, I can respect that I'm just a noob and I'm rocking the boat. If that is the case, then I just won't frequent this section, because it would be effectively useless. I'm practicing the golden rule here. When I post a photo here, I don't want people to spare my feelings, I want to gain insight on becoming a better photographer. If I'm being a pansy, I want to be called out on it. Again, if that's not the flavor of the board, I'll just leave.
I spend 90% of my time on the critique forum because I consider myself more of an art critic than a gear whore, so I don't care for whether the next camera will be full frame

I only care about learning- from other people's work, and from critique against my own. During my time here I have concluded that people are very protective of their own work (which is understandable), but also people are curiously protective of other people's work- yes I can see the value in making people enjoy this hobby, but i'm not here to make friends and make people blush, i'm here to tell it like it is- i'm not a professional photographer, i'm a designer by trade, and even designs that win awards/sell millions can still be critiqued; gallery standard photography can still be critiqued, so I think it's great that about half the forum are willing to give 'blunt' advice, the forum has a good mix of people, some who are easily impressed, others who aren't.

Art critique is as much a question of taste as it is advice, so not everyone is going to like your work, not everyone would have shot something in the same way, so you have to listen to all the criticism you're given, good and bad- and ultimately make your own judgement on that

so @extravagrant- keep posting, I'd agree we need more critics on the board, but maybe be a bit more tactful...

edit: you shouldn't have taken the picture down, you need to stand behind your work 100%