Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

Erica on vacation
Lens: DA 50mm-200mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: Ketchikan Alaska ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F4.5 

I got a Kx and went to Alaska last week. I took a lot of photos just learning how to use this camera since it's my first dslr. I got a lot that I'm happy with, but I'm curious what you guys see that I don't so I can improve my eye. Of course I ended up taking a lot of pictures of my wife along the way so I'm wondering what I did right in some of these and how I can make them better.

Last edited by devonteran; 08-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, its a "Snapshot"....nothing wrong with that, it is what most of us do the majority of the time, and this is a good one. It hollers out to me to be cropped, removing some of the right side, but the exposure on your lovely wife is very natural and the color is also good.
Good snaps deserve attention, we are not all "Artists", some of us just like to get good snaps. I snap a lot, mostly Squirrels,.....but some of my own lovely wife!
Best Regards!
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Since you asked ...

For "people shots" you might try to move the subject "up" in the frame - more toward the top of the frame so there is not so much lost space over her head. Also, I agree that zooming or cropping some of the stuff to the right might help concentrate attention onto your subject. This is a tough call in scenic pictures that also include a person. You want the person to be featured but you also don't want to lose the nice scenery behind.
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The above comments apply - head more to the top to allow more body in the frame, but compositionally this is an OK portrait with good choice of aperture.

The blown highlights from the high contrast sunlight creeping in the frame is slightly distracting, but it's still a pleasant nature portrait.

08-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

You have a nice natural hair light but I agree the highlights in the top right corner do compete. Another thing to consider is perspective and what it does for you. From looking at the photo you are taller then your wife giving you a higher perspective angle. This tends to show weakness in your subject. You empower your subject if you are shooting from a low perspective. Perspective can work either way just make sure you are making the choice for a reason.