Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My first upload
Lens: Dal 55 - 300 Camera: K-X Photo Location: My kitchen window ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F5.8 

Hi guys

This is one i quickly took this morning from my kitchen window was more a spur of the moment thing so i thought i'd snap it.

I am new to photography in general so i would appreciate some pointers as to what to look for.

Attached Images

08-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your first step in photography is to get the technicalities right. In this shot, you've got slight overexposure, blurriness, and excessive grain. To correct these, you'd want to shoot at a lower ISO, use a -1/3 EV shift, and a smaller aperture. Once you've got that squared away, the next step is to focus on artistic aspects such as image composition and special effects.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your first step in photography is to get the technicalities right. In this shot, you've got slight overexposure, blurriness, and excessive grain. To correct these, you'd want to shoot at a lower ISO, use a -1/3 EV shift, and a smaller aperture. Once you've got that squared away, the next step is to focus on artistic aspects such as image composition and special effects.

Thanks for your input adam, the image has been processed in photoshop so maybe i have gone abit over the top there to blow out the exposure. This image was shot indoors through glass so that could explain the high iso and was hand held at full zoom (300mm) so that could be the bluriness.

I plan on getting a tripod so i think that should help improve things.
08-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam's suggested right, and as well, the white balance seems to be favouring the magentas too much - be weary of what makes a long telephoto image work and try again.

08-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you are using Photoshop, one thing I find that helps clean things up is the Clarity slider (in RAW). I don't have the RAW file to work with but Photoshop can open a JPG in ACR.

Adjusted clarity, dialed down the exposure, dialed up the Recovery a little as well as the blacks to separate the background from the foreground. Also did a little sharpening. Working with a small JPG like this, there isn't a lot of room to move but if you play with these dials with the original, you can come up with a nicer image. That is, In My Opinion... (for whatever that's worth to you ) and yes, I know it looks way overdone.

One more thing. Just because the camera can do ISO 1600 doesn't always make it a good idea. The lower the ISO (regardless of camera) the cleaner your images will appear.

Welcome to the club!

Attached Images

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-09-2010 at 09:46 PM.