Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Which one do you like better?
Lens: kit lens (18-55) Camera: pentax *ist DL Photo Location: my house 

Submitting one of these to the Gizmodo.com Shooting Challenge. The theme of the challenge is "Abstract" my question to you all is which photo do you feel better represents "Abstract" and also which one do you like better and why. These photos are unedited, one of the rules of the contest is the photo has to be pure, no editing, only resizing. Im very new to photography (about 1 1/2 weeks) so all critiques will help me learn. Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo 
08-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, I think these are excellent images from soneone whose photographic experience is so short, and good images regardless.

I prefer the first photo as an entry because the subject is more unusual.

Best wishes,
Stu
08-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Stu! I really appreciate the kind words. i can feel my passion for Photography growing by the day
08-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
abstract is a matter of degree. something that calls the viewer to no "real thing" is pure abstract. the more "real" the impression, the less abstract. the second picture is absolutely green flora of some sort. the first, i have no idea, ergo it is the most abstract

08-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to photography, Nick.
Abstract photos usually feature colours, textures, patterns and forms in ways that obscure the subject of the image. Here both images are quite readily recognisable as mentioned, but that is OK - just less abstract and more still-life/nature.

If it were a judgement between the two, it would be #2 for me, being the more textured, earthy and softly lit subject of the image with complementary colours and smooth curves.
08-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #6

No1... with a pure white or black background

I don`t know what it is but I like it.
08-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all the feedback guys, for those wondering, the first picture is a candle, the second is fake grass. The grass was kind of obvious. Im working on my technical skills right now, i.e. framing and focusing and whatnot so next will be getting a better idea of the different genres.