Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Hopper
Lens: Kiron 105 2.8 Macro Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

I used the 540 Flash to shoot this little hopper, and think the manual operation of the Kiron which made the flash require manual also, drew my attention away from the aperture settings. Here I believe I was at F8 and just didn't get quite enough DOF for his entire handsome face...... With some of the others I did better in that area.....
PentaxForums.com - Rupert's Album: Rupert's Ramblings

The colors are very true to real life, I like that!
Regards!
[IMG][/IMG]

08-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a great shot. I love the colors. So natural looking.
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
That is a great shot. I love the colors. So natural looking.
I'm glad you liked it, and the color is very nice, I agree. Just too bad I didn't get just a tiny bit more DOF for his face. Not making excuses, it is what it is, but shooting manual with manual flash settings and trying to control exposure did make me lose track of my aperture setting. Viewing the LCD in the sunlight won't tell you much, if anything, and the histogram won't give you the DOF. This is one of those cases where a really good photographer will have all those things in mind and will check every setting throughout the shooting period, unlike someone like me that gets excited about getting an opportunity and quickly forgets to check his settings.
Best Regards!
08-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shot, i like the colors and the dof is for me also OK. I would try to get more of the legs (doesnt mind they are out of focus) into the frame.

08-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The fact that anyone even manages to get these shots is enough to amaze me. Every time I approach a live critter like this I either get stung or it simply flies away. Might have been nice if the DOF was greater but sometimes we takes what we gets. Nice effort (Festus is going to get jealous if you keep photographing Other subjects ).

08-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The fact that anyone even manages to get these shots is enough to amaze me. Every time I approach a live critter like this I either get stung or it simply flies away. Might have been nice if the DOF was greater but sometimes we takes what we gets. Nice effort (Festus is going to get jealous if you keep photographing Other subjects ).

Yeah, just a little more DOF would have been good. I did concentrate on his eyes......at least I remembered that!
Jeff, Squirrels are not doing much posing in this 100F + temperature with high humidity. Some shots I can get are not suitable for posting.......Squirrels going topless..... All available sizes | 70394022.6JAhPKCk.IMGP5099A.jpg800 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Best Regards!
08-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yeah, just a little more DOF would have been good. I did concentrate on his eyes......at least I remembered that!
Jeff, Squirrels are not doing much posing in this 100F + temperature with high humidity. Some shots I can get are not suitable for posting.......Squirrels going topless..... All available sizes | 70394022.6JAhPKCk.IMGP5099A.jpg800 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Best Regards!
lmao

I thought Texas was a 'dry' heat... No? Ok.. We've not seen continuous triples here since about 1988 but it sure feels like it these days. You know, that heat index thing..