Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Water Wheel
Lens: smc 18-55mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Arkansas ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

This was taken on route 62 between Pocahontas and Hardy.
Tell me what you think!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by notsowise; 08-10-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: wrong size
08-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forums..

Your photo... I'm no expert and you'll probably get 10 different opinions but here is mine.

I don't know if the structures are tilted or if your photo is. For me, it's a bit over-exposed as well. Straighten things up a bit and dial down the exposure some and you'll have a good starting point. From there, I'll let somebody else chime in..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-10-2010 at 10:59 PM.
08-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

i actually prefer the overexposed one, looks more painterly, less perfect

you've obeyed rule of thirds composition so that's good, but i'd have maybe shot it from closer in and from lower down, and maybe on a tilt- so the sky is in the shot- think it would have sold the effect a little better
08-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

At first I didn't care much for the shot....no particular reason...it was a little overexposed for my taste. But.....after playing with it for a few minutes I kind of like it after all!
May I make a suggestion.....Download a Free Virtual Photographer and play with it on this shot, or any other. It gives you a chance to view dozens, even hundreds, of variations and do it lightning fast. Just start down the list and quickly try each one until you get one that appeals to you best. You can select it, use the sliders in VP to adjust it, and then take it back to your regular processing engine to make the final adjustments. On a rainy day, I play in VP for hours, and sometimes end up with ideas that I would have never seen in my regular processing engine.
Best Regards!

Attachment 68164

Last edited by Rupert; 02-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome to the forums..

Your photo... I'm no expert and you'll probably get 10 different opinions but here is mine.

I don't know if the structures are tilted or if your photo is. For me, it's a bit over-exposed as well. Straighten things up a bit and dial down the exposure some and you'll have a good starting point. From there, I'll let somebody else chime in..

Thanks JeffJS , I do agree it is overexposed. This is the first day with the new K-x. I have a lot to learn.
08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
i actually prefer the overexposed one, looks more painterly, less perfect

you've obeyed rule of thirds composition so that's good, but i'd have maybe shot it from closer in and from lower down, and maybe on a tilt- so the sky is in the shot- think it would have sold the effect a little better
Thanks,Clark I will keep that in mind next time. so much to learn so little time
08-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
At first I didn't care much for the shot....no particular reason...it was a little overexposed for my taste. But.....after playing with it for a few minutes I kind of like it after all!
May I make a suggestion.....Download a Free Virtual Photographer and play with it on this shot, or any other. It gives you a chance to view dozens, even hundreds, of variations and do it lightning fast. Just start down the list and quickly try each one until you get one that appeals to you best. You can select it, use the sliders in VP to adjust it, and then take it back to your regular processing engine to make the final adjustments. On a rainy day, I play in VP for hours, and sometimes end up with ideas that I would have never seen in my regular processing engine.
Best Regards!

Attachment 68164
Thanks Rupert, I will look for a program and do as you say. Yes I think it was overexposed also. It was extremely bright that day, and being my first day out with the camera I lacked a lot of experience. We will work on it.
Jan

08-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by notsowise Quote
Thanks JeffJS , I do agree it is overexposed. This is the first day with the new K-x. I have a lot to learn.
That's part of the fun. I took photos for 2 or 3 weeks before I got something I could show when I bought my first DSLR... Enjoy your new Kx, many here do.

08-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Notsowise, the main thing is that you keep moving forward and maintain your enthusiasm, even when you don't get what you want in a shot, or fail miserably. Your shot here is far short of a failure......but you will have some that are....we ALL do. If you can have some fun, and get just enough that please you, you will find that they come a little easier, and get a little better as time goes along. Although I am still at lower amateur range, I get a few nice shots every so often, and more important...I know why they are good and why they aren't. This just comes in the learning...and it takes time! Patience is not one of my virtues, but I have learned to overcome that too through photography.

Looks like you are on the right track, and I hope you become as addicted as the rest of us here!
Best Regards
Rupert

BTW- You wouldn't happen to have a son in Texas, would you?
08-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again, and no I don't have a Son in Texas.