Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silversmith
Lens: PENTAX SMC DA 18 - 55 mm Camera: PENTAX *istDS Photo Location: Lahsa, Tibet ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F6.7 

There was a strong sunlight on his hands and work, thus some overexposure on the work particularly. Your comments and critiques are most welcome.

Attached Images

08-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This composition certainly has potential, but I think that this shot is a lost cause in terms of the technicalities. It's overexposed, somewhat blurry, and a little bit grainy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The glow around all the edges, particularly his left arm, suggests you went above and beyond necessity in post processing (sharpening, etc). I actually think this photo would work better as a high key black and white. Then the Grain would make sense, it doesn't carry as well in a color photo.

08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This composition certainly has potential, but I think that this shot is a lost cause in terms of the technicalities. It's overexposed, somewhat blurry, and a little bit grainy.
I am posting now the original, without PP, as maybe I goofed there.

Attached Images

08-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Technical issues aside, the real problems with this shot are:

-your perspective is too far away to allow the viewer to have insights about what the artisan was actually doing. Why take the shot otherwise?

-equally important is that we cannot see his face and share in his intensity. The predominant feature of the picture is his falling hair in the middle of the frame. People are naturally drawn to pictures of other people's faces.

M