Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #1

Birds Eye View
Lens: 18-55 DA L Camera: K-x Photo Location: Pape and Gerrard ISO: 400 

Hello Pentaxia,

I'm looking for honest critique, I do rather like this photo but did notice a slight purple color in the middle, takes the line of the suns rays. Any suggestions on how to remove appreciated, tried to feather away but it was a no go.

I've posted the original as well as my Light room 2 edit.

Aside from the purple I'm quite satisfied but I'm looking to learn from the best so if you're good speak up. Just reading posts over the last month is helping me to better train my eyes when looking at pics and composition.

Thanks, James

Attached Images

08-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oh that edit looks so grainy, it didn't in light room.
08-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's very challenging to fix that kind of a problem with software, especially LR2 with its limited set of detailed tools. I'd suggest using Photoshop. Selectively select the discolored band and then change the color and/or density. It would still call attention to itself methinks.

Since you asked for "honest critique," mine is that the shot is pretty uninteresting. The clouds have some interest, but I don't see any visually impactful components. Light standards are also pretty boring unless there is some juxtapositioning with something that has subtle or profound meaning.

Let me ask you: what was your objective for the shot?

M
08-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
I think I failed to capture the moment as it struck me.

I thought the clouds looked interesting and that the birds on the poles were enjoying the scene as much as I was.

I also snapped a few of just the clouds but I thought adding the poles and birds at the different distances gave depth and also showed I was in a city setting, telling a little more of a story than just the cloud photos.

08-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have a comment regarding the image rather than the PP, which could have ben done in a number of ways, but the photo's simplicity doesn't satisfy the fundamentals of a good photo: a clear and bold subject in the frame.

The silhouette lacks impact due to its ordinary orientation, uninteresting form and small size. The background itself isn't bad at all, but the subject is what draws the viewer into the image.