Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

first fashion shoot
Lens: pentax m 50mm 1.7 (and others) Camera: Pentax ist DL and nikon d300 

these are the results from my first paying fashion shoot. The client commissioned me to shoot their portfolio, I also grabbed a couple of shots of the girl who was acting as my assistant. I think there's enough variety in the shots here to make a portfolio, some of them i'll keep on file for myself though.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of them, as I said this is my first time doing a proper shoot, first time using flash, first time with a reflector and first time with an assistant, fun stuff

shot on a mixture of ist dl with the 28mm f2.8/50mm 1.7 and a nikon d300
I bet you can't tell which images came from which camera

not so sure on these, might use the 2 black and white ones for my own portfolio, but what do you think?

I don't think the girl wants the shots but i'll send them on to her anyway, but the male model I have to select enough images to create a portfolio, so I was wondering which images you guys would choose, I'm 99% sure I know which ones i'm picking, but i'd like to hear if you agree with me or not
thanks

Last edited by clark; 08-18-2010 at 11:48 PM.
08-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

I think 1, 3, and 10 are my favorite/best shots. I like the second to last shot of the girl too. Nice work.
08-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brilliant work here clark.
Impressive pose work, makeup and styling.
I like the soft lighting and vibrant colours.
Well done.
No need for much in the way of critique here - lots of good ones in this series. Perhaps a small issue with stray hair, front lighting and background but otherwise impressive.
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
I think 1, 3, and 10 are my favorite/best shots. I like the second to last shot of the girl too. Nice work.
thank you, I might have adjusted the layout of the pictures so i'm not sure if 1,3 and 10 are still your favourites

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Brilliant work here clark.
Impressive pose work, makeup and styling.
I like the soft lighting and vibrant colours.
Well done.
No need for much in the way of critique here - lots of good ones in this series. Perhaps a small issue with stray hair, front lighting and background but otherwise impressive.
thank you Ash, your praise means so much to me!

yeah blowing hair is a pain, not such a problem with the boy , it would be a lot easier to have a makeup artist on set to keep everything in check between shots, I can certainly see that a good team on your side leads to better images.

I'm doing a fair bit of retouching now for various photographers, so having an art director over your shoulder helps you to deliver the right sort of work, but when it's your own photos and there's no one above you it's difficult to make all these aesthetic decisions yourself

Yeah I agree about the background, shooting with 1.4 would have made the backgrounds less of a problem but focussing at 1.7 was tricky enough

do you think this boy has a good career ahead of him, hell, do I have a good career ahead of me

08-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
thank you, I might have adjusted the layout of the pictures so i'm not sure if 1,3 and 10 are still your favourites
Ah, you did switch them around. 1, 3, and 4 now. I'm not a photography expert, but I don't care for 7, 9, or 12. They accentuate the models features in a way that is not pleasing to me. Making his forehead look too big, nose, etc. In your other shots his features look proportionate and strong in a good way. This would be different with each model depending on their unique characteristics of course. You may want to just be cognizant of the angles you're using and whether they are highlighting those features in a good way. I'm definitely not an expert and am just offering my thoughts, so please don't take me too seriously.
08-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
Ah, you did switch them around. 1, 3, and 4 now. I'm not a photography expert, but I don't care for 7, 9, or 12. They accentuate the models features in a way that is not pleasing to me. Making his forehead look too big, nose, etc. In your other shots his features look proportionate and strong in a good way. This would be different with each model depending on their unique characteristics of course. You may want to just be cognizant of the angles you're using and whether they are highlighting those features in a good way. I'm definitely not an expert and am just offering my thoughts, so please don't take me too seriously.
no your critique is incredibly important to me, i've got tunnel vision on these photos and i'm too close to them now, so I highly value other people's insight and comment, so thank you

I think I will use 8 instead of 9, 9 was my mum's favourite , I do like it in a sense but i think 8 looks more debonair, and IMO is better lit

as for 7 and 9, because this is for a portfolio I tried to get as many angles and 'looks' into the shoot, so I was taking some tips from my own portfolio from when I used to model, and I remember from my first portfolio shoot a solid front on headshot (naturally lit) was important, so I tried to get one- turns out they're not that easy to take, when you've got no form lighting to hide behind the expression of the model makes or breaks the image, so these photos are as much about the models ability to pose as it is the photographers ability to take the photo, so I think whether I like it or not one of them has to go in, but i'm not sure which one
08-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
no your critique is incredibly important to me, i've got tunnel vision on these photos and i'm too close to them now, so I highly value other people's insight and comment, so thank you

I think I will use 8 instead of 9, 9 was my mum's favourite , I do like it in a sense but i think 8 looks more debonair, and IMO is better lit

as for 7 and 9, because this is for a portfolio I tried to get as many angles and 'looks' into the shoot, so I was taking some tips from my own portfolio from when I used to model, and I remember from my first portfolio shoot a solid front on headshot (naturally lit) was important, so I tried to get one- turns out they're not that easy to take, when you've got no form lighting to hide behind the expression of the model makes or breaks the image, so these photos are as much about the models ability to pose as it is the photographers ability to take the photo, so I think whether I like it or not one of them has to go in, but i'm not sure which one
I think headshot 7 looks okay. Like you said there is nothing to hide behind and the model will need to learn what angles work best for themselves too. Facial expressions are a pain and in this case I think it is the model who may not have gave you everything needed to make the shot excellent.

08-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
8,9,10 and 11 get my vote.
The others are nice too, but they either don't stand out or have little distractions in them
Though 4 great shots is a very good average imo.
Keep shooting! and most of all, keep sharing
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only one that truly stands out to me was this one:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2044/imgp88462.jpg

It's the only one that highlights the model's ability, your PP capabilities and compositional eye.

Be careful of wiping out entire swaths of skin textures.
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Not bad at all for a male model test. Just watch the PP when working on guys. Most agencies (Premiere,FM,Select,Elite, etc..) like men too look un-retouched, especially a new face/talent.