Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beer Cans
Lens: DA 18-55mm Camera: Pentax K20d Photo Location: Flying Dog Brewery; Frederick,MD ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F11 

Hey everyone! I took this picture at the Flying Dog Brewery, where I so happen to work....: ) I shot it under florescent ceiling lights and I was playing around with a higher ISO under tungsten wb. We have a wall of old cans that I thought would make a neat collage pic. What do you think?

Thanks, Ryan
Happy shooting!

Last edited by jupiterstar; 09-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.
08-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

nice. bothers me that it's leaning to the right
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

On my monitor it looks rather yellow and thus makes me wonder if the cans are really of this color. Likely not...
08-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

It does have a yellowish cast, which is easily corrected. The lean however looks to be the cans rather than the photo. The label on the red and white can on the bottom (second from the left) appears vertical when I line it up with a ruler line (downloaded it to check in photoshop, then erased it from the drive).

08-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
When I first looked at the pic I thought it was leaning towards the right as well, but I aligned it and to my surprise it was very straight. Im wondering if it is the spacing of the different size cans... The yellow tint is maybe from the cans themselves, they have a few years on them (ie, vintage) but otherwise what would be a quick cure for the yellow cast post processing or during the actual photo taking process? Thanks for your help and suggestions!
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

A simple curves adjustment will do the trick or you can do it in RAW processing (I don't have the PEF file of course)..

The middle eye dropper (this is a common function in processing software), and just pick what you Know to be white. It isn't always foolproof but it does help.

Attached Images

08-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Jeff thanks so much! You have great examples, I will try it out...

08-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually like the yellow tint better
08-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

JeffJS Don't you mean the right one? The center is gray point and the right one is white point. You are correct though, it's not always accurate whichever you use. I prefer ACR if you have Photoshop, just open in ACR first to set WB.
08-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JeffJS Don't you mean the right one? The center is gray point and the right one is white point. You are correct though, it's not always accurate whichever you use. I prefer ACR if you have Photoshop, just open in ACR first to set WB.
No, I mean the center one. I know it isn't the perfect solution but the far right one, in my experience, completely blows things out. My intention here is more to correct a color balance rather than exposure (which looks fine in the original).

I prefer ACR as well but I don't like to suggest it in case somebody hasn't laid out the cash for the software. A curves adjustment can be done in some free programs. The Pentax software would probably handle it as well. Since however, it has crashed on every computer I've tried it on, I rarely suggest the Pentax supplied software.

Attached Images

08-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Here is one with the bottom (metallic color part) of the Buckhorn can being used. Which may be closer to a gray shade. Then again, maybe not..

Attached Images

08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

You know what? I never thought about Jpegs. I'm always processing RAWS and use the far right one when I need a little extra correction. 90% of my stuff from April till October is weddings and I usually have a white reference in most shots.

ACR still works better, both auto and the sliders if your monitor is calibrated.
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I don't do any weddings (don't have the patience and bride skills) but every single photo I show began life as a PEF RAW file. I only use the curves for WB in a case like this. Otherwise, it's that nice little dropper in the top of the ACR screen (next to the navigation hand)