Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easier than people!
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F6.7 

Pampered Squirrels...I have a yard full and a deep woods where they live. They are much easier to shoot than those "models" and will work for Peanuts.....or on a hot day like today, for a cool apple slice!
Just a fun shot! Not perfect, but at 1/25 hand-held with the Bigma, it makes me happy! Cute little girly, isn't she!
Regards!
Attachment 68809

Last edited by Rupert; 05-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
08-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
beautiful lighting! I cant believe she has such large eyes!
08-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
beautiful lighting! I cant believe she has such large eyes!
Yep, she's a Living Doll, isn't she!
Thanks&Best Regards!
08-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Pretty impressive for handheld at 500mm and a slow shutter speed. One of the first things I did here at PF was Sell my Bigma. Once in awhile I regret it but then I remember how much of a pain it was to use for me. Your skill in snapping these critters is above question. I do like the way the background plays against the scene. As for being a beauty, I guess she's alright

08-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh No! Sold your Bigma? Do you have kids or did you sell them too? Life just wouldn't be right without my Bigma, and Squirrels would desert me for someone that had more sense if I sold mine! Not that you don't have sense....but you don't have a Bigma....and you did.......never heard of such a thing before! I'm thinking of upgrading to the HSM model. I love my Bigma!

The shot may be "alright", but the little Squirrel is lovely....and don't forget it!
Best Regards!
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I won't forget it, don't worry..

There was some method to my madness in selling the Bigma. I bought it in November and barely used it because I found it too heavy to carry around. With practice I probably could have gotten better with it but I'm not that patient. Instead someone in Canada is now enjoying it (unless he sold it too).

The money paid for my AF1.7x adapter (it's not a TC, remember) and the better part of my DFA100 f2.8 WR. The adapter with my DA*300 gets me to the 500mm range at about the same wide open aperture as the bigma and it's less than half the weight. Haven't tried it on any critters yet but it does a pretty fair job for those distant candid shots.

08-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is a good option to get to 500mm, but I find the ability to zoom to the proper composition is imperative for many shots. Backing up is not always an option. We tend to think of the Bigma at 500mm, but the other end is handy too....

Bigma at 50mm...

Regards!

08-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I understand that and agree. That's why I have other options. For a catch all focal length single lens, I won't deny that the Bigma is a great lens. Mine was reasonably sharp at both ends, wide open. I found though that even then, I still favored the prime lenses in the range. Going 50mm with nearly 2 feet hanging off the front of the camera never felt very comfortable for me. So when I Did put it on the camera, I did so with the intention of using it at 400-500 mm. Rather than let it sit and collect dust, someone else would get more use out of it so I let it go. I'm completely comfortable swapping lenses.

08-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Pampered Squirrels...I have a yard full and a deep woods where they live. They are much easier to shoot than those "models" and will work for Peanuts.....or on a hot day like today, for a cool apple slice!
Just a fun shot! Not perfect, but at 1/25 hand-held with the Bigma, it makes me happy! Cute little girly, isn't she!
Regards!
Attachment 68809
Lovely shot!