Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Arbor Pond
Lens: sigma 70/300 - 108.0mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Ellicottville, NY ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4.5 

A weekend south of Buffalo, NY and a walk thru a nature perserve got me this shot.

Great this time of year and even more exciting in October with the leaves turning and such.

dkw

Attached Images

08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea but:
I don't like the horizon is in the middle and those OOF plants in the foreground are distracting IMO
08-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi David

The preserve must be a grand place to visit. Unfortunately the photograph doesn’t quite convey that feeling.
Some issues:
- As noted above, the out-of-focus plants in the foreground are distracting and don’t add anything of interest.
- The lighting is on the flat side so the feeling of serenity (or drama if you prefer) isn’t there. What is needed is more angled lighting, or a foggy cover over the water
-You chose a focal length that is both too narrow or too wide. It’s too narrow because it doesn’t capture the grandeur of the trees behind the gate structure and more of the whole landscape. It’s too wide because too many visual distractions are captured such as the OOF plants in the foreground, the tree behind the gate, and the landscape to the right of the gate which seems unbalanced.

The good news is that is seems like this is an easy place for you to return to and refine your shooting technique. I tend not to like many landscapes in July and August as the lighting is harsh and plants are dried out. I’m sure mid-Sept to late October would be more interesting. And I look forward to seeing your shots then.

M
08-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The foliage looks in pretty good shape for the time of the year. The exposure and saturation and sharpness are all appealing. I think you might try to crop this, maybe even horizontal or square, without the out-of-focus plants in the foreground at all.

Paul