Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Table Setting
Lens: 40mm da Camera: k2000 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2.8 

Wondering if anyone can help me improve this shot. ISO actually at 560...just experimenting with the different sensitivity settings. I wanted to capture the atmosphere at a party just before the guests arrive. Any tips on what I could have done here? Composition? Lighting?

And, why does my image lack sharpness?

Attached Images

08-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am thinking that the fact that the windows (that seem to be the major source of light here) are almost directly facing the camera is not beneficial for the shot. If you could let the light from the windows go more diagonally, it could have been more interesting or at least worth trying. Just my 5 cents...
08-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your windows are blown........
If there is a view worth looking at you would need at least 2 shots. One exposed for inside the room and one exposed for the outside. Then mask and layer in whatever program. That will give you a view. Use a tripod so that the camera doesnt move and that each layer is exactly the same Your horizon is crooked too Bounce flash may have helped as well.
Aperture should be f8 to f11......
It doesnt have a great "party" look to me.........its very formal......maybe needed some party hats on the table or that sort of thing......and for someone to straighten the table cloth
Other options would be shoot from the end of the table, diagonally across the table to the window.........walk around with the camera to your eye and find " the " spot.
I love the colours and the detail in the stone walls as well as the red reflections on the floor!
cheers
Jan
08-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lucy, try a different perspective - you'd be amazed how much an image improves with the right light. You'd answer your own question on sharpness if you knew the effect of shooting wide open as you have in this photo...