Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen more than you know
Lens: Pentax A* 135 F1.8 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Antelope Island ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/8000s Aperture: F1.7 

I took this picture on a recent trip to Antelope Island here in Utah. First the pic:

Name:  IveSeenMoreThanYouKnow.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  141.8 KB

I tried shooting this car with a variety of different focal lengths, all the way down to 10mm, and I found that the 135/1.8 worked it's magic here better than the rest.

Shot at 1600 ISO to add grain, shot in B&W and then colorized it in The GIMP to add a more antique feel. Other than the color and the resize, this is right off the sensor.

I might have tried to go further with the ISO for grain, but I wanted to isolate the DoF on the plane starting with the ram, and the camera was already at 1/8000th.

Autos aren't usually my thing, so I'd like some feedback from the crew here.

08-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Decent composition in my (amateur) eyes. Personally I think it would have benefitted more from a simple b&w without the toning. The angle works for me, but I'd like to see more of the front of the car....not necessarily in focus but in the frame.
08-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like this picture a lot - the color/tone seems to work well. You might try cropping off some of the bright area at the top, and maybe darkening the image just a little. Maybe adding a little sharpening would make the ornament stand out more.

Paul
08-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tighter crop is definitely in order here - to focus in on the subject of the photo without unnecessary distractors.

The toning is overdone to me - it should be all about the subject and what PP would enhance the subject. Straight B&W would enhance the emblem if the conversion is done appropriately. Some dodging and burning might again bring out the subject much more vibrantly within the frame.

08-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Forum Member

I really like the choice of focal length to give the depth of field and out of focus background here. I agree with Ash that a tighter crop would work best, I feel the right headlamp should either be completely gone or completely there, it nags at my eye.

However, I definitely think that the complete hood emblem should be kept, which makes cropping out that headlamp impossible!

Apart from that, I like the choice of high iso, black and white and colourising to give it an old fashioned look.