Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lace of the Goddess
Lens: Pentax A* 135 F1.8 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Albion Basin, Utah ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F1.7 

Name:  LaceOfTheGoddess.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  96.1 KB

shot at F1.7 and underexposed -2 to isolate the sun beaming through the trees to land on this flower, which even at -2 managed to stay entirely white.

I little PF removal in The GIMP in the vicinity of the flower, but other than that, directly off the sensor.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, feelings, and impressions!

08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
i like the idea and the composition of this one...

its far too soft for my liking also
08-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Did you mean f1.7, or 1.8, or ...

I like the exposure, but I'm not sure the dark foreground object adds anything. Not sure if you could have moved it out of the way, perhaps - or what would have been behind it, of course. Also, maybe closing down just a little would get some more depth of field, but still leave the background blurred. It's very hard to get enough depth at f1.anything to get anything other than a perfectly flat object in focus.

Paul
08-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

To me theres really nothing interesting about it at all. The first idea of photography is to start with an interesting subject. I would have focused more on the wood and the flower instead of making the wood (or whatever it is) a silhouette. The rest of the OOF part of the picture is just dark and drab and takes away from what you were trying to accomplish here. I see that you were trying to follow the rule of thirds but it just doesnt work in my eyes.

08-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Did you mean f1.7, or 1.8
There's some debate on the forums, and amongst Pentax support. It seems the closest consensus is that this particular lens is F1.75ish and so it reports 1.7 wide open, hence the exif confusion. I can shoot it at 1.8 but it does bring the aperture blades out a little bit.
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clinton, I too find the subject matter lacking, not enhanced by the backlighting or background.
It is hard to appreciate the sharpness of the image at this aperture and as such would have preferred stopping down considerably.