Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
May I please download the photo and show you my idea as to how to process it?

08-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
May I please download the photo and show you my idea as to how to process it?

Absolutely! Anything I post here is open for downloading......that's what we're in this Critique Forum for.....any help I can get is always appreciated. All I know, has been 90% learned online from others.
Regards!

BTW- The poster before you here made a comment about longer lenses.....could he explain that a little more, I didn't fully understand what he meant?

Here is a list of my current lenses......anyone have any preferences from it on shooting portraits? I think I want the Nokton 58MM and DA* 50-135 for sure, but also think very highly of the 645 75MM when used on my K20D.
Flickr: Rupert2009
08-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- The poster before you here made a comment about longer lenses.....could he explain that a little more, I didn't fully understand what he meant?

Here is a list of my current lenses......anyone have any preferences from it on shooting portraits? I think I want the Nokton 58MM and DA* 50-135 for sure, but also think very highly of the 645 75MM when used on my K20D.
Flickr: Rupert2009
Since you used the Sigma 17-70, he might be thinking that you shot around the 17-20mm range. However, your EXIF shows that a focal length of 38mm was used. This very similar to 50mm in film terms but still a little on the short side for classic portrait work. I think your DA*50-135 would be in the more traditional range.

I don't do a lot of portrait shooting but the opinon above is what I've been reading in the different forums lately.

Tim
08-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Rupert,

Have you tried converting this one to B&W yet? The mixed lighting is producing a yellow cast on the left side of her face.

PP with a Channel Mixer layer (Red-31, Green 65, Blue 18) and a littel USM (Radius 0.75, 75 Strength)

Tim

08-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tim, I have done a couple of them in B/W but they didn't turn out as good as yours here. Except for a small spot on her left cheek, easily repaired, this is a nice B/W rendition. The eyes hold well in it, and skintone is nice and even without the blown highlights that often come with my conversions. I'll give it a try...(Red-31, Green 65, Blue 18) and a littel USM (Radius 0.75, 75 Strength)

Thanks!
Rupert
08-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Rupert,

I always add a little USM after downsizing my images. For full size image sharpening, I like to use High Pass sharpen if possible.

Here is the tutorial where I learned how to use the Channel Mixer method. He also shows a couple of alternate methods.

Methods of Black and White Conversion - Tutorials

Tim
08-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Untitled Document

Check at which length you like the lady most
- Some people also see alcohol makes people more attractice, but I didn't try to combine that with photography yet

There is much more if you Google on "portrait focal length comparison"

Digital Photography Tutorial: Focal Length - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

09-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I am sorry to be rather late with the reply. Below should not be taken as the complete piece of processing but rather as a direction. I do all my processing of this kind in PhotoScape which is a nice little tool if one has to try something quick. What I've done was like this:

1. Went sepia.
2. Cropped the bright offending lamp on the top.
3. Played with curves, brightness, contrast.
4. Partially desaturated so that sepia won't be too strong.
5. Applied a bit of vignetting in top right and bottom left corners so as to take care of yet another bright and offending lamp.
6. Played some more with brightness and contrast.
7. Resized, added a frame, saved... Done

Here is what came out:

09-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice rendition Boris!I like the tones.

I have been reading the links you guys gave me....Very Interesting and informative! I hope to get my equipment that came in Monday set up next week and start shooting some test shots. There is a lot to learn! I will try to get Missy to come work with me for a day to help me get the feel of my new gear. Not only is she a good Model, she has a great personality to work with, not the least bit hard to get along with or "uppity".
Regards&Thanks again for everyone's help!