Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Starling Lane Winery.
Lens: 50/135 Camera: k7 Photo Location: Victoria BC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

Hi Everyone.
What do you think of the focus on this shot? I look at other peoples photos and lots of times they seem razor sharp and mine rarely are. I think I see what would make this picture better but would like your opinion. I think to clean up this picture, I should have, a, used a tripod
b, focused on the flowers in the middle of the shot,
and, c, used a higher f stop.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks.
James

Attached Images

08-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The focus looks fine, although the DOF doesn't necessarily have to span the entire frame, which is why some flowers in the foreground might appear soft.

I think that there's too much going on near the bottom of this photograph. Crop out everything below the first christmas light, and I think you'll be left with something very nice, as this shot has potential in the framing of the building in the background.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to what Adam said, did you do any sharpening after resizing the shot? Due to resampling/resizing algorithms and digital captures, even very sharp initial focus can benefit from just a tiny bit of sharpening post sizing. You could also try desaturating the color just a little. Though the colors really pop in the flowers, it could be causing a little oss of detail.
08-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks you guys.
I will try your suggestions. With the k7 I shoot in the "natural" mode, (the camera that is) and find the shots a little flat so I generally do bump up the saturation. I didn't know this can affect the detail.
I think when I took this picture, the way the the building glowed in the background is what caught my eye so I wasn't as concerned about the flowers. Next time I will take a few shots using different f stops and focal points.
Thanks again.

08-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are choices in such cases.

- You could focus on the flowers or the white building front.
- you could shoot at small aperture; I'm guessing f16-22.
- get a view camera

nice image, though.
08-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You might try cropping a little off each side, and the bottom. Maybe just remove the lights entirely. I think you would have needed a smaller aperture to get front-to-back sharpness, and I'm guessing that would have been a good way to go.

Paul