Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wild at Waterton
Lens: ST 50mm f1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: AB, Canada 

08-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These photos seem to be a little bit soft, and perhaps half a stop overexposed. I recommend using a smaller aperture in the last, and just a faster shutter speed in the first two so that the issues with lighting and DOF are corrected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yellow flower petals are some of the hardest subjects for digital cameras to record accurately. (try buttercups!). Try maybe 1/2 to a full stop less exposure to hold the highlights.
09-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This would have been a fun place to hang and shoot at.

1. Looks like you didn't use a tripod. And the DOF was too shallow. And the sun must have been overhead as the glare is blowing out the petals. When shooting flower pairs it helps when one is further apart from the other than what you have presented. This allows you to separate them visually more effectively. They are so close--but apart enough-- that one looks simply out of focus, rather than bathing in artistic bokeh.

I do like the background though.

2. Looks like the wind was blowing, or you shot at f1.4 .
There is little here to grab the eyeballs. The flowers that are closest to being in focus look too random and that gets translated to my brain as a focusing error.

I do like the color though.

3. Hmmm. I just don't find the subject all that compelling. Having that OOF branch right at my eyeball is a little disconcerting. Also that shadow across the middle of the shot is unwelcome. Looks more like a learning-to-use a closeup-lens exercise than an intentional artwork.

M

09-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pleasant subjects to shoot.
Simply put, the choice of aperture setting was inappropriately too big. The closer you get to a subject, the more you'll need to stop down.
Be weary of your exposure values so as not to blow out your highlights so much.
#1 is reasonably well framed, but the others don't have an attention-grabbing composition.
Consider looking through the viewfinder at different angles and perspectives to get the most interesting view you can get of your subjects.