Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Shanghai balcony (HDR)
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm Camera: K10D Photo Location: Shanghai, China 

I've been registered here for a while, but generally lurking; now I'm trying to get out taking photos more often, and since I'm not around a lot of photographers socially, well... hats off to the Internet.

This is an HDR (something I haven't done much of, but I like to try it out once in a while) off of my roommate's balcony. About 8 exposures at ISO 100 and f/8, ranging from 1/30 to 30s shutter speed.

Would appreciate any C&C at all (that little ding in the bottom left is the balcony railing... poor framing!), thanks!

08-31-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to have you contributing.
This is a valiant attempt at a night HDR.
The result isn't bad - the exposure is just about right and the details are well maintained in the image.
I've got the feeling of lopsidedness, perhaps due to the building in the bottom centre, but I do think the horizon isn't quite straight. The image would be great as a pano, with less of the sky, but as is I'd have desired a more symmetrical result, having the two lines of the streets mirroring each other more accurately.
08-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Forum Member

All I can say is well done! Cant wait to try an attempt at something similar myself. Only criticism I can give is that the image doesnt seem quite as sharp as it should. That may just come from the HDR processing though.
08-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

Ash, I took a look at the photo after reading your post, and I definitely see your points... realized that there really was just too much sky.

The lopsidedness I see as well, though I'm probably just less sensitive to it. Could be any number of things; didn't correct for lens distortion (shot at 14mm), and didn't check the bubble levels on my tripod, just eyeballed it.

Did some cropping and I think the result is better than the original... though I may have overdone it on the upper crop.