Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Imperial War Museum
Lens: D-Xenon 50-200 Camera: Samsung GX20 Photo Location: Manchester ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F22 

Had this for a while, but never been sure whether it works or not. Be interested to know what others think.

Attached Images

08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it might work if it were rotated so that the horizon were aligned. I also think that some of the foreground on the left might need to be cropped off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It seems a bit underexposed. Rotating and cropping will help, regardless.
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Jen

Original Poster
Thanks, I've had another go at it, but unfortunately cropping lost a bit of the pic I didn't want to lose. Back to the drawing board with this one I think. Will keep an eye on my horizon next time.

Attached Images

09-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cropping has taken away important detail now and loses impact, but the subject matter is still rather underexposed. The image does make me look for a subject at the end of the path, though here the building's entrance isn't intriguing enough to maintain interest.
09-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

How does this work for you?

Here is how I did it.

1) Add a 150 pixel white border on the right side of the image
2) Straighten on one of the horizontal lines on the walkway about half way up.
3) Crop to the aspect ratio you want (4x6 was the original and my version)
4) Clone in some grass and walkway on the remaining white border after cropping.
5) Curve layer with the top quadrant anchored, a good size push up in the middle and a slight push down at the dark end for contrast.
6) a little USM sharpening to fix the softness that occurs after downsizing for the web.

I would be tempted to do a B&W conversion also, as the color isn't that strong in this image. But I didn't do a conversion so you could see the potential of your orginal.

Tim
09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Jen

Original Poster
I'm impressed with your diligence Tim, you put me to shame. I was just going to go back and photograph it again!
Jen

09-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jen Quote
I'm impressed with your diligence Tim, you put me to shame. I was just going to go back and photograph it again!
Jen

The majority of the shots I perfected my saving techniques on I didn't have the choice to reshoot. Adding a border before straightening has saved me a couple of times (I swear my view finder isn't horizontal),

Tim
09-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Jen

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips Tim, and I know exactly what you mean about the viewfinder. I think there may be a viewfinder imp - gives things a tweak when you're not looking! I will try the border next time
Jen