Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Author's photo for book cover?
Lens: SIGMA 30mm f1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: a cafe ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F1.4 

The subject, a good friend of mine, rather liked this.

Last edited by Mikhail_Kriviniouk; 09-06-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: replaced attachment by flickr link
09-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This works great as a horizontal, but how will you adapt it to a vertical book cover?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
I would not adapt it to anything :)))

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This works great as a horizontal, but how will you adapt it to a vertical book cover?
Crop? I am quite happy to leave that to publishers/cover designers ;-)
09-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An excellent shot that aligns with the assignment. It does look like an author's bio shot. Nice work.

M

09-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Book cover aside, this is a great portrait. I like the genuine feel to his expression and the tone / hue is flattering.
09-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice expression - would have been great if he were looking into the lens.
The DoF is a little too thin for my liking, isolating his face perhaps too much from his torso (!) and not enough from the background clutter.
Sure, a vertical crop may assist with the composition, however the lighting also appears to be just a tad flat - even if from a window. The shadow areas are just a little too deep - a reflector or supplemental light would have been good in this application.
09-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Something like this? Bigger DOF, looking at the camera. A bit "clinical" to my liking. No magic. I don't know.

09-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I think the first photo is very good for an author photo. Good expression and is what you would expect for that type of photograph.

This would be the photograph for the dust jacket or "about the author" portion, correct?