Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #1

Reading Armand Jean du Plessis de Richelieu
Lens: SIGMA 30mm f1.4 Camera: K-x Photo Location: At home ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F1.4 

Just playing with my SIGMA 30mm f1.4

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This doesn't work for me. Not enough is no focus here, and the blurry foreground is particularly distracting. Also, if you're going to go B&W, make sure there's no grain, as it completely kills most shots. This composition has potential, but the position of the book and other elements in the foreground would have to be changed to reveal more of the face.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Mikhail - I agree with Adam.
There is minuscule subject matter in focus, leaving me wondering what it is about the hidden face that I should be looking at. The PP, whether sharpening and/or grain effects, is well overdone and doesn't add to the quality of the image. A distracting background also doesn't help.
09-05-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree both with Ash and Adam. There is nothing wrong in my view if a b/w image has grain. It is of course rather distracting if some parts of the image have visibly more grain than others. But still, this can be quite tolerable. In fact, this particular image for ISO 1600 at which it was shot looks surprisingly clean of grain/noise.

An interesting effect here: the OOF leaf with ladybug on it seems to be in front of the book, yet it is obviously attached to the wall behind the ladyreader... The unfortunate thing is that it grabs (my) attention and thus distracts from the image. Not having read this author I fail to see if there are any visible clues and/or allusions as to his writings.

To summarize - this is an interesting photograph, although I would like to see other takes on the same subject as certain things seem like they can take some improvement or slightly different interpretation.

09-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
The unfortunate thing is that it grabs (my) attention and thus distracts from the image. Not having read this author I fail to see if there are any visible clues and/or allusions as to his writings.
Thanks, Boris, for kind words. Yes the silly leaf is most unfortunate there in the background.

But then, as it says in the initial post, I was just playing with my SIGMA 30mm f1.4.

As to the visible clues - how about the portrait of Cardinal Richelieu on the book cover?
09-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, does it have to do with ladybugs or eating apples while reading? Also I am seeing something like half the pirate face on the top right corner...
09-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Well, does it have to do with ladybugs or eating apples while reading? Also I am seeing something like half the pirate face on the top right corner...
Absolutely, you always have to read Richelieu under pictures of ladybugs, smiling fly-agarics (that is what that picture in the right top is) while eating nectarines (that is what she is eating, not an apple!). There is no other way! I am sure that's what Richelieu would have wanted.

09-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Evidently, I've been reading too much into this photo .