Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My First "Studio" Shot
Lens: Nokton 58mm F1.4 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 160 Aperture: F8 

As mentioned in prior posts, I finally got my "Studio" set up downtown in the Learning Center, a computer training facility owned by friends. It is a high-tech place, but my set up is nothing fancy......a couple of strobes etc........

My anticipated Models all showed up naked, so I had to send them home.....but I went next door to the Butcher Shop and got the Butcher Man to pose for my very first shot, and my very first try at portrait shooting under controlled lighting.......I know I have tons to learn.....but at least I have started!
Regards!

The Butcher Man
[IMG] [/IMG]
I took a few more today, some of the owners son....Brian and a couple of Mrs Rupert.
Brian
[IMG] [/IMG]
Mrs Rupert

I know I have a lot to learn.......and a boom for a hair light is on order.......for my first time with strobes, I am pretty happy, but your suggestions for improvement will help me get to where I want to go......

One last shot of my "Studio" so you will see where I am shooting from...Nothing fancy, but I am excited to have it!
Attachment 70375

I have no idea why the first two don't show up on the screen...they did in preview.....
EDit....finally got them!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-30-2015 at 12:06 PM.
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A good start- nice and sharp. However, I think you definitely have to work more on the lighting. The shadow in the third is distracting, while in the other two, the foreground is fine, but the backgrounds are so dark that they in themselves become distracting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A good start- nice and sharp. However, I think you definitely have to work more on the lighting. The shadow in the third is distracting, while in the other two, the foreground is fine, but the backgrounds are so dark that they in themselves become distracting.

A start...that's exactly where I am at....I have learned that if I had moved the stool away from the background, I would have done better? I also need a hair light.....I have a boom on order........I thought I might, but now know it for a fact.

I liked the sharpness, the first two are straight out of the K20D with the Nokton 58mm.....color is also right out of the camera, and I might have done better to remove a little of the face redness.......the shadows are somewhat distracting, but I should be able to arrange the lighting to eliminate those....

There is so much to learn, but I did get my feet wet, and hopefully, with some help from my friends will gradually improve with time....and I have time!
All comments appreciated...alligator hide here!
Best Regards!
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Nice start, however instead of using more lights, you should learn to master one light & reflector.

09-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
Nice start, however instead of using more lights, you should learn to master one light & reflector.
I second this... there is great stuff done with one light...

What are your lights sitting on? I think they need to be moved back, soften (reflector, umbr, softbox) and raised just a bit... unless you want the shadow even with the nose... but I think dropped just a bit below is better...

Great start... cannot wait to see more... and too bad about those damn nude models... hate how they are always showing up so nude!!!
09-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
A start...that's exactly where I am at....I have learned that if I had moved the stool away from the background, I would have done better? I also need a hair light.....I have a boom on order........I thought I might, but now know it for a fact.

I liked the sharpness, the first two are straight out of the K20D with the Nokton 58mm.....color is also right out of the camera, and I might have done better to remove a little of the face redness.......the shadows are somewhat distracting, but I should be able to arrange the lighting to eliminate those....

There is so much to learn, but I did get my feet wet, and hopefully, with some help from my friends will gradually improve with time....and I have time!
All comments appreciated...alligator hide here!
Best Regards!
I like the 2nd image the best, you had good lighting here, the fill and main light balances each other quite well, giving the 3d look for the image. Definitely move the stool away a bit further so you wont get that shadow...or, play with the shadow and move it closer, use a white background.
09-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have them look into the camera. Top two faces look very awkward with them staring away.

09-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Have them look into the camera. Top two faces look very awkward with them staring away.

Brian said he could see my eye through the camera lens......and he also said, "you know, you are sure ugly"....so I thought it best to have them all look away!

Thanks all for the tips and comments...I write all this in my log book so I will have it when I shoot again....next week.
Best Regards!
09-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice start Rupert. I agree with icywarm that you need to raise your primary light so it is 30-45 degrees above the subject. This will move the highlights in the eyes off the 3 o'clock - 9 o'clock axis. Generally, people try to put the primary highlight at either 10-11 o'clock or 1-2 o'clock. I also clone out the secondary light highlight in the eyes, as this is my personal preference.

I also agree wtih K-9. Most of the time you will want to have them look into the camera.

Here are a couple of examples of a 45 degree above umbrella that moves the highlight to the 2 o'clock position in the eyes.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 09-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.
09-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tim, I like your lighting in those, very well done. I think I will just need a lot more experience through using what others have given me, and then trying to reach a look that suits me the best...whatever that may be. I do tend to like a little less exposure than most people, and I doubt I will ever do high-key shooting.....even with Squirrels, I prefer the "darker side"........your shots here are near the edge of my preference in exposure, but still well within what I like to see.

I have a ton of great software, and I intend to use it also.....I have no problem with altering a photo to get the look I want....I am no where close to being a "purist".
If Mrs Rupert needs a steel uplift bra as she ages.....no problem here!

Here is a little quick dose of Portrait Pro9......I like the original better ....but I bet Mrs. Butcher Man will like this one?
Best Regards & Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

Butcher Man- Pro9
Name:  IMGP0154-700A_pp.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  79.7 KB
09-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #11

^^^ I give a "thumbs down" on Portraiture Pro image...too much especially for a man.
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^^^ I give a "thumbs down" on Portraiture Pro image...too much especially for a man.

I'm with you there 100%....but you have to try things to know you do/don't like them! I once would never eat an avocado....now I eat two every day to make up for the times I didn't! Is there anything better than a perfect avocado?
Best Regards!
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #13

Your on the right track!!!
09-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your on the right track!!!

With the avocados?
Regards!
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I really like the first one. The shadow on the right of the nose is softer..........Mrs Rupert has very beautiful eyes.......
If you put the highlight higher wouldnt you then get a deeper shadow from the cap brim? A reflector to counterbalance that?
cheers
Jan