Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Reflections in water - Anchorage Alaska
Lens: DA 18-55mm WR @~18mm Camera: k200D Photo Location: Anchorage, Alaska ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 

Below is a picture I took while in Anchorage Alaska for a conference a few months ago(and my first photo critique post . I liked the reflection of the clouds in the pool, and decided to try and use the log as a leading line to the horizon. For post processing all I did was straiten the horizon and darken the sky a bit to bring out the colors. While taking this photo I was constrained to hand-held, thus the ISO 400. I kind of wish there was more green around.

I am looking for any critique on composition, subject, technique...

Attached Images

Last edited by kswier; 09-11-2010 at 01:11 PM.
09-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks nice, but the photo you've attached is really too small to be critiqued. I really like the composition, however, and I think it works well overall. Perhaps the photo might be a bit soft, and perhaps the colors should be boosted a bit, but I can't say much more without a larger version to look at.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you use a tripod for this shot?

M
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I like the picture, but it doesn't quite seem to be sharp. I'm not sure there woud be enough depth of field at f8, even at 18mm, but actually none of the image looks that sharp. Maybe try some sharpening. That lens should be very sharp at 18mm and f8. The composition and exposure are very appealing. Having a k200 myself, I understand not wanting to go past iso 400.

Paul

09-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Composition - it's not bad at all. THe converging lines of the clouds, the creek and the log seem to lead into the scene nicely.
But the above reservations apply and are what break this photo.