Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

A rose in the concrete

was downtown today in NYC and saw this rose..it stuck out like a sore thumb because it was planted by itself... let me know what you all think. thanks for any feedback

Attached Images

09-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This could go both ways for me. Technically, the rose is sharp and very clear. It's certainly not in an ordinary setting, which is what, IMO, make this photo work. I like the idea and creativity here, but since the background is ugly and not really appealing (apart from the juxtaposition), I'm going to go ahead and say 3/5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would humbly suggest that you could have pointer the camera so that the rose would be on the left, less of the fence in the frame and more of people's feet on the right. I think it would be more powerful image of white, gentle, innocent rose on the backdrop of people wearing dark clothes going round and about their business...
09-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the prior two comments.

That said, I love the shot because it reminds me of the all powerful rose set in Manhattan in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

M

09-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you guys for your comments, i agree with everything you're saying and if i had more time i would have played around with things a little more. I took this photo at ground zero on 9/11/10 and i had to take it quick because a massive mob of protestors were coming up behind me and i had to get out quick or risk being sucked into the group hahaha. it was sort of funny but i should have went back to get a few more shots
09-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

Good attempt Nick.
The above comments apply - the background was obviously an intended feature of the photo, but I do think the juxtaposition doesn't work, both in terms of composition and content.
Lighting is a little flat, but nothing PP cannot enhance, but consider the impact of the background on the image.
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

with the location of the rose I would have like to have seen more of the background. In my opinion (not even .02 cents) I think both the rose and its surroundings are the subject, they tie each other together...
09-16-2010, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I agree with the prior two comments.

That said, I love the shot because it reminds me of the all powerful rose set in Manhattan in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

M
Interesting. The very first thing that went through my mind was the song "A Rose in Spanish Harlem."
Nice Pic.

09-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The feeling of a lone rose doesn't really come across for me; I would like to see more of the rose; perhaps more of the setting. Also, the legs in the background are distracting. If the rose is unusual, show us how.

My first reading without looking at your description was the rose was in one of those cages that keeps them from falling over from weight (like tomatoes) in a city.
09-19-2010, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it is because I love roses. But the beauty of the rose against the bleakness of the inner city speaks to me. I agree that perhaps a shot angled more out to the street may have worked better.