Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yearbook 2
Lens: 85mm f1.4 Camera: K-x ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F1.4 

Here's another try at my daughter's senior yearbook pic.
Is it worthy?
I have a few more I'm working on also.
C&C welcome.
Thanks - Tm
(click & click again for large)

09-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You have a lovely daughter, and this shot catches some of of that beauty with her lovely smile and gorgeous eyes....but I think you can do better.
Now I am no portrait pro, and am just learning the art myself , so I am learning along with you.....A friend gave me this site and it has been great for helping me get the best shots possible. Take a look at it and see if it can help you too......Click on the Table of Contents, and then just go from page to page for short simple ideas that even an amateur like me can understand.
2. The Portrait Head and Shoulders Image

Best Regards!
09-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Really cute face, and your focus looks tack sharp to me. If I had a primary critique, it would be the scarf - the eye really gravitates to it, rather than her face. There's also a bit of lint on her shirt near the crease of her arm on the left, and on her chest that you might want to clone out. Maybe desaturate the teeth a little and bump up the exposure. (Same for the whites of her eyes.) I love that she looks very natural, rather than made-up and processed to oblivion. And nice depth of field. Really creamy bokeh. It's a lovely capture.
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
im no portrait photographer but was looking it up the other day. i read that you should angle one shoulder toward the camera downward. does that make sense? gives a softer look. right now she's parallel to the camera making her look more broad.

google portrait shoulders and you should see what i mean.

09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You have a lovely daughter, and this shot catches some of of that beauty with her lovely smile and gorgeous eyes....but I think you can do better.
Now I am no portrait pro, and am just learning the art myself , so I am learning along with you.....A friend gave me this site and it has been great for helping me get the best shots possible. Take a look at it and see if it can help you too......Click on the Table of Contents, and then just go from page to page for short simple ideas that even an amateur like me can understand.
2. The Portrait Head and Shoulders Image

Best Regards!
just checked out thsi site. great info on it! go to table of contents and click on the last link 35 tips! im posting this to my website listed in my signature for others to learn from. thanks for sharing!
09-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
im no portrait photographer but was looking it up the other day. i read that you should angle one shoulder toward the camera downward. does that make sense? gives a softer look. right now she's parallel to the camera making her look more broad.

google portrait shoulders and you should see what i mean.
Actually, if you look a little more closely, you will see that she is indeed angled, rather than squared to the camera.
09-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps a little more obliquely set shoulders would improve the portrait, with a slight chin up to avoid the dreaded double-chin and some off-axis supplementary light to add some texture rather than the somewhat flat result here with axial fill-flash.