Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Conversion?
Lens: DA 16-45 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4 

I shot this last October at lunch with my Dolly......I have always liked the shot. She was beginning to get a little sleepy and had slowed down considerably from her normal hyper self.
I think it might display very nice in B/W, but I am not sure I am capable of rendering the best B/W version....

If anyone would like to try it in B/W and post it here, I would be most appreciative and would like to see any comments on what is posted.....why you like a particular version etc.......

I am putting together a photo book for this little angel and someday when she is older, maybe at her wedding she will treasure it? I will be long gone by then, but hopefully she will remember the fun times we had every day at lunchtime for many months!

Best Regards!

The original crop
Name:  4016388319_3f9042c73d_o.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  92.3 KB
My B/W version
Name:  4016388319_3f9042c73d_o-B.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  74.3 KB

09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the way that you rendered (in b/w) the slight shadow on the wall behind her. The b/w version reminds me of some old shots of my mother as a child.

Dolly is a doll!
09-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I actually prefer the color one in this case but here's my stab at a black and white.

Attached Images

09-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I like the softness in Rupert's B&W, but I'd rather lighten the dark a bit around the eyes and in the hair to better match the brightness of the color copy. I love the softness.

I dislike JeffJS's, it looks as if it is an HDR turned B&W. Seems overprocessed and gritty (for the lack of a vocabulary at the moment) for the subject matter.

09-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tackyat.2 Quote
I like the softness in Rupert's B&W, but I'd rather lighten the dark a bit around the eyes and in the hair to better match the brightness of the color copy. I love the softness.

I dislike JeffJS's, it looks as if it is an HDR turned B&W. Seems overprocessed and gritty (for the lack of a vocabulary at the moment) for the subject matter.
Well, You take what you can get when you start with a 100Kb JPG and reprocess it. Different strokes.

09-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another vote for the coloured one
09-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is not "right" or "wrong" ...just different versions....I like the color one myself, but think it could be a nice B/W too. Jeff's version is different.....and that is what I asked for...and appreciate......anyone else is most welcome to help out here too, and will also be appreciated. I just want to get one in her Photo Book I am going to make. I have hundreds of her.....and am sorting out the ones to have printed in the book......you can also look through these if you find time. Allee - a set on Flickr

Best Regards & Appreciation!

09-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

There is definitely no right or wrong, just stating my opinion.

I also like B&W, can't put my finger on why I like it so much.

Anyway, I tried a quick edit of your color version, tell me what you think.

And the blochyness... ugh. Compression no fun. (Apologies to JeffJS for that)
From here, I'd try to bump up the contrast, but I'm tired. I'l do a more finalized one tomorrow.

Last edited by tackyat.2; 09-30-2010 at 12:32 PM.
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tackyat, I like that one....it is sort of a cross between mine and Jeffs. I think it is a little dark around the eye area, but otherwise a good blend.

Yes, working with small files makes it blotchy and hard to get what you want, I agree. I try to work with the RAW files when possible, but sometimes don't shoot RAW with the K20D....the Jpegs are always so very good and I save a little space.....which is a poor excuse, RAW is always best to have.

Rupert
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #10

How's about this one?

09-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Tackyat, I like that one....it is sort of a cross between mine and Jeffs. I think it is a little dark around the eye area, but otherwise a good blend.

Yes, working with small files makes it blotchy and hard to get what you want, I agree. I try to work with the RAW files when possible, but sometimes don't shoot RAW with the K20D....the Jpegs are always so very good and I save a little space.....which is a poor excuse, RAW is always best to have.

Rupert
Rupert, the biggest thing I don't care for in your conversion is you've gone so bright, her left arm is missing. I think if you used a graduated filter (in processing) it may help that. Overall, the photo looks a little doll-like to me. i realize in life, she Is a doll but it's a little too shiny. I kind of ge what you were after, I think, and for me, the whole glowing b&w concept doesn't work. Pull it back a little bit to retrieve her left arm and I think you'll be where you need to be. Of course, that's just my opinion. Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers.

To me, it's like trying to get a fiber based looking wet print on a resin coated piece of paper. You can get close, even almost exact but that extra little something that the fine art fiber papers have is hard to duplicate. I'm still waiting for someone to do it with a digital print before I abandon my film cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by tackyat.2 Quote
How's about this one?
First one is too dark around the eyes, second one is much better.

09-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Rupert's B&W the best. The softness of tone and contrast suit that shot very well.
09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #13

I was thinking of ways to replicate that softness, and I think I've managed to do it. I did this quickly to see if this is way you're looking for.

Last edited by tackyat.2; 09-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tackyat, I do like that version, the eyes are right and I like the softness.....just tell me what you did?
Regards!

Good advice Jeff, it is also appreciated. Yes, ask ten people and get ten different answers......but it is the one that finally catches your eye that always counts....to the one that is making the decision. My problem is always in making a choice...the more I process, the more indecisive I get!

Jim, Thanks! and good to see you here.....unarmed and in friendly territory! LOL!
Best Regards!
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #15

In Photoshop, I used the brush tool with the color white on a new layer at about 70% brush opacity, and then Gaussian blurred that layer at a high value radius, about 8-10. Then I selected that layer to be a Luminosity blending layer, finally adjusted the layer opacity to change the effect.

It's a very easy thing to put the white in with a tablet and a size-pressure sensitive brush. Could also do it with the mouse, just not as quickly.