Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

Minimal mist
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Harjattula, Turku 

ISO: 280, 1/500, f/8.0 @ 16mm

I started photography school a month ago and said to our teachers that I'd like to get real critique from my pictures not just "This is nice" kind of comments, that kind of comment won't help me improve my pictures. I'm still learning to process my pictures (lightroom & photoshop), that's one of the reasons I went to that school.

This was processed with lightroom 3.

1920px:
http://horsthelmut.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Maisemaa/Usva/usva-3.jpg/full

Thank you in advance.
-HenrikM.

Edit: I still see few specks of dust in the picture. My 16-50 should get cleaned completely, quite a lot dust inside it...

10-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good balance between dark foreground and light background here. You may want to play around with different crops to see if it stands up to being cropped a bit tighter.
10-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I guess that for the purpose of a minimalist shot, it is well done, which is similar to "nice" but not quite the same. There are some here that are true critics, (Ash is very good!) with a background in such, and with good advice and keen eyes for the technical and the the aesthetics of a particular photo.

I am not that kind of critic....I am just a lowly Plumber with a camera, and an eye (sometimes?) for what "regular people" I know, and I know plenty, seem to like in their photos. What pleases us is not always what pleases the "Herd". Having said that, I look at a shot and always ask this question.....if properly printed and hung in the proper environment , would it catch an eye.......would it solicit that word "Nice!"

Now, your shot although well done, would most likely cause Old Granny to say "What's that?" LOL!
Not trying to be funny.......or to make waves, but their are more kinds of critics than what we see here! We shoot for many reasons.......
Best Regards!
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"This is nice." But, perhaps a bit too minimal...As suggested, cropping may work. I'd try some off the top and left.

10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

Nice shot, but it lacks a reference (or anchor) point. Seems like the objects are just floating in space. Did you happen to capture the shoreline?
10-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with above - very gentle and smooth colour gradients with aptly chosen muted tonal range.
It suits the style of imagery, but the shot does indeed lack an interesting place for the eye to rest upon, making it difficult to appreciate the subject matter.
10-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you people!
That kind of opinions matter because I get kind of blind (I think many new photographers get also) to those nice shots and these comments teach me to see differently and ask questions needed in self-criticism.

digadv: It was grass, wooden edge and then a straight drop to water. Maybe I'll take a shot of that to see if it would work in similar conditions.

If this doesn't make sense... I'm drunk as a monkey right now.

10-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

I find the "floating" objects to be intriguing, the tones between the left and center large objects to be quite pleasing, and the intense brightness in approximately the top third of the photograph to be distracting. I'd either reduce that brightness or crop from the top.

This is a very good "standalone" photograph. But you might try photographing the same scene in different weather conditions and at different times of day, and then try displaying the best photos together.
10-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 on a tighter crop
10-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

I think it should stay uncropped, especially if that vignetting is from the lens, and not photoshop'd in.
cropping would lessen the vignetting, which IMO empasizes the image well.
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #11

I really like the minimalistic expression, but think its would benefit from a little rearrangement in the composition e.g. the left dark pole seems too close to the background middle object. Just my oppinion
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I dig it. Abstract as it is, there is a bit of thirds going on here. And I'll agree with the above, left dark pole too close to background objects... if it were me, I'd have shot the poles a little more to the right and the background objects in the same place.