Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overcooked Megan?
Lens: Sigma 17-70 2.8 OS HSM Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4 

This is one of my newest "Models to Be", Megan, and I got this quick snap where I eat lunch every day, and have for many years. I did a little work on it and then took it to Portrait Pro9 for some experimentation.....did I overdo it? She is lovely without any processing, so I feel like maybe I should have left it alone, or at least done less? Your thoughts on this and if you want to play with it...go right ahead, I am here to learn......I get great ideas here and always appreciate the thoughts of others. I am just an amateur, but someday I want to be a good one.

Lighting will be better when she comes to my new "Studio" downtown.
Best Regards!

Megan

Portrait Pro9 Version...

BTW- I have enjoyed this lens, it is very nice for general walkabout shooting. Fast and accurate, quiet as a mouse and decent IQ at all ranges.

10-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
#2 looks much better with brighter colors and lighter exposure.

Does Mrs. Rupert know about your lunch breaks?
10-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
#2 looks much better with brighter colors and lighter exposure.

Does Mrs. Rupert know about your lunch breaks?

I'm surprised! Most on another site did not like the 2nd one? In fact I think all of them didn't!

Mrs Rupert......? Yes, I get this question often....I think the best answer is right here where the answer is clear.......just keep reading!
Flickr: Discussing If You Are Old....... in Pentaxians
Best Regards!
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Her face definitely looks smoother in #2, and the eyes and lips are better.

I did not notice you cloned out the cord until now. I was looking elsewhere :-)

10-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a pleasant result with a nice pose.
Distracting elements notwithstanding this is a good simple composition and a sharp rendition.
The ambient lighting seems to be casting a yellow tinge to the scene, particularly evident on her shirt.
Look forward to seeing her results in the studio.
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input.....it is always appreciated here. Special K...if you didn't notice the clone work, I guess it was adequate!

Ash, shooting in the Convenience store, where I often shoot is a mix of several light values, and there is a lot of yellow.....I am well known to prefer yellow tints......that might be why, I am so used to it .LOL! Yes, she should be gorgeous in the proper lighting, I have lots of lovely models to choose from to help me get started.....maybe next week.....I lost this week to a really bad rash of unknown cause.....but am getting better now? As a plumber,you are exposed to lots of contaminants, and although I work little anymore, I do still work on occasion. Could be that...or ...who knows? Doc on Wed.....gave me some steroids......we'll see. Maybe just itching to get the K5?
Best Regards!
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

What bothers me about the second shot is that the eyes seem a different shade. Megan's left eye seems lighter than her right.

10-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Her complexion in the second photo makes the skin on her face seem a little "puffy". Another thing on the second photo is the disappearance of her jawline. It's not real strong on the original photo, but appears nonexistent to me on the second. It looks like her right cheek leads directly to her neck.

I second the kudos for the Sigma 17-70 HSM OS!!! I feel like I've rediscovered my K-7!
10-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tina/Kevin.....I pretty much agree. The lighting is a mix of natural by the large windows, over head fluorescents, and nearby tungsten. There is a lot of Yellow from the Booths, which are all bright yellow bouncing around, and ...not making excuses, just stating facts.....you never know just what you might get in there. It is always like opening the prize in a box of Crackerjax...you just never know!

Second, if you are familiar with Portrait Pro, it does indeed do some distortions......hopefully for the better, but not always! In all fairness to the program, it has very fine controls and give you more than enough options to get exactly what you want if you will take the time to use them. Considering that I might have spent 90 seconds on this one, I give it high marks, and not so high for me.......
Best Regards!& Thank you for your comments and honesty!
Rupert

Talk about yellow! Here is one I shot in there last Fall about this time of year....My Little Dolly, my very favorite Model! We had M&M's every day!
[IMG][/IMG]