Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

The Guitarist
Lens: 18-55mm kit Camera: K-x ISO: 1600 

This shot was one of my first in low light at low shutter speeds. I wanted to see what some you thought of it and what all I can do to improve as far as composition, colors and subject. When shooting bands with people moving, it's quite hard to find the right angles. Any pointers? Thanks!

10-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depending on what you're after, you might try capturing some action(expression) in the shot.
Other than that, I think it really comes down to what you're trying to convey with your subject. ie. type of music, band or artist personality etc.
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

All the tchnical aspects are good, composed well, but the subject isn't really showing any emotion which makes the photo kinda uninteresting. Try to get up close and shoot from a lower angle if you can, and try and capture it during something interesting, like a solo. Also, experiment with Tv mode. Try to get a shutter speed that shows motion, but still keeps the scene fairly sharp.

Last edited by Super A-wesome; 10-03-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added some tips
10-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Forum Member

The light source is quite harsh and below the subject (usually not recommended). Try bouncing the flash off of a close white surface if available. Also, the subject is very static. Try to bend any and every joint, making sure it is not on the same plane as it's compliment. I hope that makes sense.

10-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It reminds me of a punk rock photo from the garage band days... early greenday type stuff... his face says... whatever... I play guitar... the taped bedsheet to the roof says garage gig... the static figure adds to the over-all figure... I enjoy the framing... a little off, creates some drama with the shadow being projected up high...

I think you wanted that strumming hand... if so you need to slow the shutter speed a bit... you are almost there, and with a stationary subject... you should be able to get his body sharp and his hand blurred...
10-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

The static-ness of the photo is a reflection of his presence while he's playing (if that makes any sense at all). He doesn't move around a lot or do "theatrics", but plays well and with energy. But as I learned in English: if you have to explain it to your reader you're doing something wrong.
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just cut the bottom of that monitor and shadow above his head to make composition stronger