Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
HDR on 3 frame in +-2 ev stop differences
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm Camera: Pentax K10D Photo Location: Odessa 

Thanks for your constructive critics in advance...

Last edited by cem.kumuk; 10-05-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: photo links do not appear
10-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #2

Original Poster
Sorry I inserted images by filling in the address field with necessary links after clicking "insert image" icon but images do not appear... !!!
10-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Very nice series, good use of HDR. Truly brings out the art in these shots, #1 and #2 are simply stunning.

You did these all with the on-camera HDR selection?
10-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice renditions - I'm not so much a fan of HDR, so consider that in my critique.
The framing/compositions of most of these shots are actually very good. 2, 8 and 9 are well planned out with the ultra wide angles.

The HDR is far too overdone IMO with the burning of the highlights in PP made far too obvious, creating a strong halo effect around the less exposed subject matter. A couple of horizons are not quite straight (1 and 5 in particular) and the colours in some are all over the place (2 and the second last photo). While this may be intended, the colour casting does get in the way of a few very nice images. 3 is also way too overexposed and burnt out as a result, even after the PP.

10-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I like them. Very old Postcard-like. The one crit I would have is in the first one. Clone out that dark spot on the right and remove the lens vignetting. Quite distracting.

10-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Dear Jeff, you're right about vignetting. I missed it completely. I'll work on it. Dear Ash, on the first photo I could not find any horizon problem. On the 5th one as well.. On the 5th one you're right I found 3mm difference between the left and the right. I'll work on it. For the 3rd one, I also agree with you. However, I did not understand well what you've meant related to the color issue... Thanks a lot
10-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Forum Member

Yep, Ash is right, the HDR is a bit over the top. The glow is a dead give away. I like the first image, but you should clone out the UFO as mentioned before. Square it up and back of the HDR effect just bit and I think you have a winner.

10-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also am not a big fan of HDR as many times they look unnatural as Ash has pointed out. Perhaps using only a 1 EV range + and - would give a more natural look, yet still retain the detail you're after. I do like your subject matter though.
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I am not going to critique your use of HDR. I have extremely strong feelings against this type of effect, but I don't want that to keep me from critiquing based solely on composition.

Rating your composition, I feel #8 is your strongest.

The way the bricks are arranged in #2 shoots my eye straight out of the frame.
I like #4 as well, however I feel there may be a tad too much dead space. I think the same is true for several of your other images; too much dead space.

Zoom with your feet or crop. That's my biggest thing with these compositions. And just because you CAN go wide angle, doesn't mean you always SHOULD. The distortions you get from wide angle don't always work in these compositions.