Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Self Portrait
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Outdoors ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.5 

My first post in the Critique forum, my first self-portrait, and my first conversion to black and white where I actually adjusted the various colors to try to create depth and draw the eye.

10-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks good to me. One thing I have yet to do is take even a decent self portrait.
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no complaints. It looks good. The tones are just right, and you are drawn right to the subject. There are other details in the wall, but not too much to be a distraction. If anything they add to the photo. Nice work.
10-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Dodge your eye sockets and I would like to see a version without the vignette, not sure if I like it or not.

Other than that, well done!

10-06-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Overall, pretty good effort. To be picky, your eyes could be a little better lit, and I am just not a fan of the vignetting look.
10-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

Overall good job. As mentioned before, the eyes are a little dark but I think it adds to the mood you are trying to create. A couple of technical nits on the crop ... should not crop at a joint (knees) and there is unnecessary space above the head.
10-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's a version with a much lighter vignette and with my eye sockets a bit lighter. Myself, I think I still prefer the first version. This second one looks good also, but I was/am going for the slightly darker look.

I think I learned quite a bit just by making the change the comparing the two side-by-side.

(Click for larger)

10-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Greg:

What you want the photograph to look like is all that really matters at the end of the day; you're the one with the vision.

I enjoy your second one (at least on a technical basis), but I appreciate your reasoning behind sticking to the first.

It's a great thing to do; prepare two versions of an image, look at them side by side, and compare. Many times you won't stick with one or the other. Most times I take pieces from each version to make a final output.
10-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by digadv Quote
should not crop at a joint (knees) and there is unnecessary space above the head.
In this case, where would one crop at? Above or below the knee's?
10-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

i like the second version more
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
In this case, where would one crop at? Above or below the knee's?
Most say mid-thigh. Somthing like this (image attached hopefully) ...
Attached Images

10-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Most say mid-thigh. Somthing like this (image attached hopefully) ...
Hmmm... I have to say, I do like that crop. I just hate that the bricks from the window are no longer there.

Even though I "know" I should be more ruthless, I still have trouble with cropping "for the overall good of the photo" as opposed to leaving things in that I really like, and in this case, are what drew me to this particular wall in the first place.
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hey, I really liked the wall also. The question is where do you want the viewers eyes to go? The eye will naturally move to areas of high contrast. In your original crop, three areas competes for the eye: top and bottom right and of course you. Even in the last crop you still have the lower right area that competes for you eye.

Do you have any room to move back to take a shot? Sometimes a wide/distance shot can create an image where everything works.
10-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you have any room to move back to take a shot? Sometimes a wide/distance shot can create an image where everything works.
Yeah, I thought of going back to that wall to try some other variations of distance - me to the wall, camera to wall, and camera to me.

Or, just keep it in mind the next time I try a self-portrait.
10-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #15

Your hands aren't symmetrical. That was the first thing I noticed. I would probably dodge the eyes as well. But I think its probably a matter of a preference cause they kinda add to the overall effect of the photo as is. Overall good photo.