Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Another self portrait
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K-7 Photo Location: outdoors ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4.5 

Ok, here's another self-portrait. Any opinions on the crop? It was taken as a landscape, so quite a bit is already cropped off. The toe was cut-off in the original - does it bother you? I think my face is a tad soft, I think it may be focused a few inches in front of my face.

Jeeze, self-portraits are hard!

10-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi GreggX999, I don't know if cutting the toe off is that big of a deal but I would crop a little more off the left side myself.
Not sure why you are using the kit to do portaits since you have two other great lenses that I think you would get much better results. The face is a bit soft so I am wondering if you used SEL mode in AF. The kit is a great lens but it needs to be stopped down so I probably would have used your DA70 in portrait mode.

I don't do a lot of portrait work so take this with a grain of salt but I hope it helps.

Oren
10-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a bad shot....I generally agree with Oren, and just think you could have done better....but I think that on most everything I shoot. For what the shot is, still, it is very decent.
Cutting off the toes is not a problem to me here. I do try to avoid it when shooting my Squirrels....they claim it "hurts" and requires an apple slice to ease the pain....not sure I buy their story.

You cut off my toes!
[IMG][/IMG]

Best Regards!
10-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whoa, that squirrel looks a bit evil.

I tried using my DA70 for that shoot, but I'd either have to move the camera too far away for my remote to work, or else it was so close I couldn't frame myself properly. I think I need either a DA35 or DA40 as I find myself using my kit lens in that range quite often.

Thanks for the comments!
Greg

10-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are those the squirrels toes or fingers? Do they have four feet, or two hands and two feet? They stand up so much and use the front paws, they technically might be hands!