Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Preliminary Model....
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Texas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F3.2 

Shot this quick snap at Church today where Mrs Rupert teaches a class for the Deaf......she wants to model for some Portraits at my new "Studio" and I think she might be a perfect subject. You think?

This was a quick lobby shot in natural & mixed light, but I have to think that the DA*50-135 is an excellent lens for portrait work in or out of a studio setting...no, it is not a prime, but it is so close the difference is barely noticeable.
Regards!

Attachment 72951

Last edited by Rupert; 02-09-2015 at 09:39 AM.
10-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The model has potential. I think you went a bit far with processing the skin in post. There's lots of detail in the hair but except for a few patches of freckles the skin texture is gone completely.
10-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The model has potential. I think you went a bit far with processing the skin in post. There's lots of detail in the hair but except for a few patches of freckles the skin texture is gone completely.
Thanks, yes I think she has a certain look that does have interest. I agree that the skin is a little overdone......in the RAW there was not the best of detail, I think due to the poor lighting, not the lens, which is fully capable, so I just smoothed it out and left the freckles for some "natural" appearance. In the studio this should all be easily resolved....we'll see next time!

Comment appreciated!
Rupert

Last edited by Rupert; 10-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

She looks a wee-bit soft to me - you can really see it in the eye-lashes. This is a problem I often have as well - I almost think my K-7 has a gremlin.

10-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No no! You have no gremlin......this was a very quick and unrehearsed snap, and heavy crop of the original frame. Lucky really that it was as sharp as it is.......Even my good friend with his D3x has the same problems at times........Studio shooting will get the eyelashes, no doubt about it!
Best Regards!

When a second to prepare is available, eyelashes are no problem! LOL!
[IMG][/IMG]
10-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

She does have strong features. Something makes me think that side lighting would work well with a portrait of her.
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good model Rupert.
The image does appear to be slightly soft, and texture is not well brought out here - possibly due to the quality of the lighting.
But nevertheless, a model to shoot again.

10-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good model Rupert.
The image does appear to be slightly soft, and texture is not well brought out here - possibly due to the quality of the lighting.
But nevertheless, a model to shoot again.
Thanks Ash.....I am sorry about the IQ....the detail was lost in the harsh light, and is certainly an injustice to the DA*50-135, which is near prime quality at any focal length it covers.
The model has an interesting look, and I will no doubt be shooting her under better light soon. Quick snaps often bring me great results....but more often....not!

Best Regards!
10-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I think so too. I find it completely unnecessary to change the skin of such a young lady. Where is the need?