Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Man and the Fog
Lens: Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 Camera: Samsung GX20 Photo Location: New York ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F4 

Black and white conversion, then a crop. All in Lightroom 3.

10-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Interesting, but I would have tried to get all the vehicles in the shot on the right for balance.
10-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
clarkebd

What about cutting out the truck on the right....
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #4

My 2 cents... Crop between the stop sign and pine tree, crop a wee bit off the top, and crop the sign on the far left out but just barely. right now the picture is too busy IMO.

10-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
priveteryan +1

Also, you mentioned crop in the picture was that just 2x3 - 4x5?
10-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oh, my crop was to straighten the horizon. I was on uneven ground and I was using a really bad tripod that can barely hold the GX20 up, so anytime I use it and want a flat horizon I need to crop.

I think this crop worked out well. Comments?

EDIT:

I can't really decide one or another, any thoughts?

Last edited by tackyat.2; 10-14-2010 at 09:56 AM.
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the top one... more artsy with the neg space...

10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #8

+1 for the first crop.
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
clarkebd

Much better! I also like the first one.
10-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's great that you were out shooting in the fog. It tells me that you are a photographer of the heart. I don't like shooting in the rare clear blue cloudless days in Puget Sound. Pretty for the brain, but too sterile for photography.

While the latest iteration is an improvement, you'll learn better scene assessment skills and shooting positions with time. Let's start with the title: Man and Fog. Well, the man is only a small part of the image. Actually, he is far less compelling to my eyes than the cool stop sign form is.

You've got to do a lot of trial and error runs with shooting silhouettes. When using a relatively normal focal length lens, one byproduct is that most forms are diminutive in size. And unless there are some super compelling things going on in the scene, or a neat and obvious juxtaposition of elements, the forms are too small to carry a shot.

This scene is too random to keep my interest. If it was daylight, would you take the shot? Nothing much is going on. The only really interesting forms are the stop sign and the light standard. Most of the foreground is just dark space with a few streaks; most of the background is a gradient of sorts of negative space. That might work if the action up front was captivating.

Perhaps if you used a long telephoto to flatten the space, then there would be more weight to the shot. But you'd still have to capture something worthy.

Anyway, outings like this are very much worth doing, and I'd be interested in seeing future shots.

M
10-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Excellent assessment. I'm from a place that never has fog, so shooting out there was very new and interesting. Lovely thing about that night was that I was not the only one out there, so I knew I was doing something right.

I'm working on expanding my equipment as well, I have no lenses between 55mm and 200mm, which is a huge gap. I'm looking into that, so expect more varied focal lengths as time goes on.

Thinking about it now, I can visualized what I should have done with that Stop sign and the light facing away from me; seems so obvious when one points it out to you.

I appreciate the comments, definitely something to think on.