Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember Shelby?
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K20D Photo Location: texas ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

I took those poor shots of her about a week ago, and promised her I would do better if she came to my "Studio". Although I have a long way to go, I think I did deliver on my promise? I took over 50+ shots, and most were very pleasing to my eyes.......your opinion may vary....I'm listening!
Best Regards and Thanks for your continuing tips....I have all winter and lots of nice Models to help me learn.

About a week ago....I'll do better, I promise!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Yesterday
[IMG] [/IMG]
One more...of many....
[IMG] [/IMG]

10-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A beautiful girl--you have a real model here, Rupert. Perhaps your portrait sessions will give her some self-confidence (well, maybe not genuine self-confidence, but confidence concerning her appearance).

Subjectively speaking, she looks a bit older in the new pics, though--more sophisticated and more mature. There was something about the previous look--her youthful ingenuity--that I liked.
10-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice clean shots... though the light is too hard to my liking... overall, pretty kewl
10-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Nice clean shots... though the light is too hard to my liking... overall, pretty kewl
The harsh light might have something to do with what (to me, at least) appears as an 'older' look.

10-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, and I agree Stefan, but she came with the look she wanted, and it was strikingly different, but still most attractive. Yes, this will certainly boost her confidence.......a Wall Flower no longer! Unlike many, she was so excited to have her own shoot! She even bought a new dress, and got it on sale for $8....she is working her way through college and is on a tight budget....All the photos are free to her, and I may even throw in a little modeling fee to help her out.
I wish Mrs Rupert could find $8 dresses! LOL! We went to Macy's on Saturday, and I assure you she spent more than $8!!!
[IMG] [/IMG]
Leadbelly, I am still working on the lighting.....I need to get better and more consistent, and in time think I will be able to do it....I hope. I am finding that this is not as easy as it appears. There are so many factors involved, it requires a lot of thought.
10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Nice job and back story. It may just be my work monitor, but the white balance looks a little off. Keep up the good work ... both of you.
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Nice attempt Rubert, it beats shooting squirrels.

I think your finding out that "the studio" can be more challenging the one anticipates.

10-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They are better than the first shot, but still need work on the lighting. Not that I have any answers, lighting is currently where I'm working on improving.

I just have to ask, in the first pic, what the heck is going on with her teeth. The high iso noise is pretty awful in it in general, put it looks like she dipped part of her teeth in sugar.
10-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
They are better than the first shot, but still need work on the lighting. Not that I have any answers, lighting is currently where I'm working on improving.

I just have to ask, in the first pic, what the heck is going on with her teeth. The high iso noise is pretty awful in it in general, put it looks like she dipped part of her teeth in sugar.
I guess you missed this thread last week, it will explain that first shot better...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/116762-people-diamond-rough.html

My lighting is much better than my first attempt at studio shooting, but still short of where I want to go......if you find those answers, let me know too!

I will have Shelby back soon, and try some more with different lighting and I will try to do better with the white balance also. I have all winter to practice, and lots of nice Models to help me! This is almost as much fun as shooting Squirrels!

One more of Shelby.......she is such a little Doll! Of course, I know her and her sweet personality, so she looks even more beautiful to me.
[IMG] [/IMG]
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Shelby is a beautiful girl and you're doing a fine job of photographing her. My comment regards the pose. I see it a lot and never understood what it is supposed to add, the hands in some sort of unnatural random position. It always just looks odd to me unless they are holding something, like a flower or similar.

10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff...I have a long way to go but I hope to get there.
Shelby was so excited to get to pose....she is the shyest of girls and very self conscious of her usually "mousy" appearance. She bought the dress specially for this, and told me she also got a book on how to pose, which shows more intelligence than I showed........so I guess it was in the book? I have no idea either ...sort of strange...but it does catch attention, doesn't it?

I had her in the "Linebacker Position" here, I knew better, but wasn't thinking. I tried to save it with a large crop......better than it was with a full view....I'm learning, slowly.
Best Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]
10-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

looks like we are working on the same thing... with the same lens... what are you using for a hair light... I notice it works in some photos to pull her dark hair from the black drop...

10-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
looks like we are working on the same thing... with the same lens... what are you using for a hair light... I notice it works in some photos to pull her dark hair from the black drop...
Unfortunately, I left my new hair light at home and lit this one with processing using Light Machine, a decent substitute if you don't have to push it too far. Lots of work to this if you get it right, both in shooting and processing. I haven't arrived, and it looks like it may be a while, but I will keep trying....you do the same, best of luck to you!

Best Regards!
10-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I went and looked in your flickr page at these, and for me, the winning pose is the one titled "Shelby" which appears to be the same as #0584. I like the devilish look on her face as if she has some sort of secret she knows she's not supposed to tell but is thinking about doing so. Re my comment about the hands, right next to that photo is Mrs Rupert. She appears to be slightly resting her chin on her finger. In that context, the hands work (for me).

I know this is probably all in fun and learning and don't want to suggest taking any of that away from her (or you). You always say you judge a photo by if you would print and hang it. I'm looking at these, the same way.

Keep up the wor..... I mean fun.

10-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I went and looked in your flickr page at these, and for me, the winning pose is the one titled "Shelby" which appears to be the same as #0584. I like the devilish look on her face as if she has some sort of secret she knows she's not supposed to tell but is thinking about doing so. Re my comment about the hands, right next to that photo is Mrs Rupert. She appears to be slightly resting her chin on her finger. In that context, the hands work (for me).

I know this is probably all in fun and learning and don't want to suggest taking any of that away from her (or you). You always say you judge a photo by if you would print and hang it. I'm looking at these, the same way.

Keep up the wor..... I mean fun.

Jeff, you are very perceptive.....I had just mentioned that she looked beautiful, and that if I was 45 years younger, and didn't have Mrs Rupert....we would be partying tonight! This is the look she gave at that comment! What it means, your guess is as good as mine!

Here it is.......
[IMG] [/IMG]

As for hangers....I liked some of these, saw some improvement in some areas, not in others.....but didn't see any "hangers". No fault of Shelby's...she is lovely, I just see too many flaws in my technique and processing.....but I will get better!

Best Regards& as always ...Thanks!